Concerned about yeast being shipped from CA to East Coast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanryates

Reaction score
So, I placed an order from one of my favorite homebrew supply company's yesterday (warehouses in CA and PA). The order contained 5 packaged of yeast. Typically, my orders are delivered in one day so I've never been too concerned about the health of the yeast (especially since the weather is downright cold in January).

Unfortunately, it seems that the yeast portion of my order is being sent from the CA warehouse and is not scheduled to arrive until Tuesday of next week.

Part of me thinks that because of the current outside temperatures across the country (~20-50 degrees), the yeast should be just fine. But the other part of me is still a bit worried.

Any words of wisdom from homebrewtalkland?

Mid 60s here in the bay right now. But get an hour or two east and it drops quickly. Sierras and rockies are all snow so im guessing youll be fine once its on the truck and moving. I think they offer priority mail, might wanna go that way next time to be safe.

Mailed someone some liquid yeast (from a starter) in a padded envelope with no ice pack. Mailed it on a Tuesday from Seattle to Alabama. Storm in the southeast delayed things. Got delivered on the following Monday. So 6 days in transit. Worked fine when pitched.

Back