Shipping Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I'm planning on sending my brother a couple of rhizomes from my hop plant. What's the best way of packing them for shipping? Thanks!

Assuming he is within the US, just bag them up, pop em in a box, and ship em. You could put some cold packs in there if you're worried about them sitting on a truck in the sun somewhere cooking, but they should be fine.

I received mine from Freshops recently and they were twist-tied together and in ziploc bags. The bags were somewhat padded in a small box to prevent shifting, and there were a few shoots growing when I received them. Either the USPS knew what precious cargo they were carrying or them hops is tough little buggers.

They did show signs of moisture - condensation inside the baggies. I suspect it was more than what would come off of the rhizomes themselves (could be wrong here). Maybe spritz lightly with a little water before bagging?

Be sure to check that the state you are shipping to permits the rhizomes being imported. I ran into this issue, intending to ship some rhizomes to my brother in Washington state. It is strictly verboten. I believe they are trying to keep hop downy mildew out of the state, as hops are a major commercial crop there.

Be sure to check that the state you are shipping to permits the rhizomes being imported. I ran into this issue, intending to ship some rhizomes to my brother in Washington state. It is strictly verboten. I believe they are trying to keep hop downy mildew out of the state, as hops are a major commercial crop there.

Yep, Hawaii, Alaska, Washington, and Idaho have a ban on rhizomes importation.

Please keep that in mind and respect the law with regards to agricultural quarantine.

I just called the Hawaii State Department of Agriculture here in Honolulu (808) 832-0566 and spoke with an Ag inspector. She said that it *is* possible to ship humulus lupulus to Hawaii. The box needs to be identified and marked with "May be opened for agricultural inspection" on the outside. Either the bare root or potting media is ok - no soil.

I'm going to give it a go. I'm pretty far south of the US Mainland (21.424687°N), so I may have to learn quite a bit about hops - but it's a fun experiment.

Back