Shipping H.T.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaddyBeard

Reaction score
Ok so a friend of mine got his father, who works in Vermont, to pick us up a case of H.T. (Never had it so I can't wait). Anyone one know the cheapest and easiest way to ship it so it stays fresh?

SavoryChef said:
Any idea on cost? I found that staples has insulated shipping boxes and they shop from store to store for free so would be around $40 all together.

I shipped 3 bottles to the east coast and it was $16. Wrap with bubble wrap and insulate with newspaper and your good

Ok so a friend of mine got his father, who works in Vermont, to pick us up a case of H.T. (Never had it so I can't wait). Anyone one know the cheapest and easiest way to ship it so it stays fresh?

Comparing between UPS and FedEx I've always seen better prices from UPS. As far as freshness, I wouldn't go so far as top pack it with dry ice or anything. The few days it spends on the UPS truck isn't going to hurt it. As was said before, just make sure it's cushioned well and you'll be all set.

I'd bet he tried one and decided to keep the case to himself.

I always use FedEx (has been ~$5 cheaper than UPS going cross-country). I did recently have a bottle bust during transit. FedEx put the leaking box in a giant trash bag, tied it off, put it in a box, stuffed it with shredded boxes for packaging material, and sent it back to me. No muss, no fuss.

UPS and FedEx vary on cost but I am set up to ship UPS mostly. I shipped a 6 pack of home brew packaged in a 12-beer bottle pack box. I lined the box in a giant garden trash bag and wrapped each bottle in grocery bags. I added random crud (mostly paper towels and socks as a joke because it was going to a family member) to pad the empty space. From NC to IL it was about $19 I think. I shipped UPS ground, no issues and if a bottle exploded then the trash bag hopefully would have retained the liquid.

I understand your friend's trepidation but packed well, there is little to worry about. Pay him for the beer and the shipping and most he is out is a small amount of time. Also, these are cans, right? I'd be even less worried about cans. They will be fresh. It's not like it's live lobster ... although, I wouldn't be sad to be sent some amazing seafood. :D

Good luck, I hope you get your beer. I want to try it myself.

I understand your friend's trepidation but packed well, there is little to worry about. Pay him for the beer and the shipping and most he is out is a small amount of time. Also, these are cans, right? I'd be even less worried about cans. They will be fresh. It's not like it's live lobster ... although, I wouldn't be sad to be sent some amazing seafood. :D

Yeah, I never worry about cans. Even on my laziest day I didn't give them any dedicated packing, just what was around them to cushion the bottles, and never had an issue

Crisis averted! An engineer I work with just so happened to be going to Vermont tomorrow so he is going to meet him and bring it back for me!

Back