Shiner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shiner is a great (relatively) little brewery in Texas. The best thing about Shiner is that it is available in just about every bar here in Texas. Unfortunately, they always consider it an import so it is more expensive than the crappy stuff, even though it is brewed just about 4 hours from where I live.

I really like the Bock, although as some have pointed out it is a Bock in name only. Blonde is a great refreshing, light session beer that is easy to throw back. The cheer is ok, but weird. Not a fan of the Black, or Light though.

It is nice that Top Chef is repping Shiner though.

Not always expensive. A couple years ago when they were making the Czech pilsner I could get it on tap for $2 a pint.

Back in my BMC days, Shiner Bock was my go to "fancy" beer. It's been several years since I've had it, but I should really pick up a six pack of that sometime to see how it tastes with my fairly newly refined palate.

shiner bock is really a low OG dunkel. it's also kinda gross. I drank nothing but shiner bock all through college at UT.

SlimeyBooger said:
Back in my BMC days, Shiner Bock was my go to "fancy" beer. It's been several years since I've had it, but I should really pick up a six pack of that sometime to see how it tastes with my fairly newly refined palate.

The bock generally isn't my first choice. But it's not bad. Right now I'm in the Texas panhandle visiting the inlaws and there's not much in the way of good beer, so Shiner isn't all that bad. I'm also enjoying the new Ryes and Shine that's in the mix pack.

Celebration was quite good. But they put out a lot of crap too. If anyone here has has the Ruby Redbird. Well..... My condolences.

Homebrewtastic said:
Celebration was quite good. But they put out a lot of crap too. If anyone here has has the Ruby Redbird. Well..... My condolences.

Hey now! I didn't think the Ruby Redbird was all that terrible. Definitely couldn't drink more than one in a sitting, but the 102 wheat (I think it was shiner) just about made me barf. I don't know if I got into a bad bottle or what, but it was one of the very few drain pours.

Shined does a pretty good hefeweizen. They also released a wheat called 102 that was very good. I also enjoy their dortmunder. I haven't bought shiner in a long time though since they use twist off bottles and I'm still working on my bottle stash

I am currently boycotting Shiner (and I live in Texas). My son got two seperate six packs - one 102 wheat and one Blonde - that tasted horrible a few months back. Not like bad because we don't like the style (I have had both several times, like the Blonde) - bad like possible batch infection. Wrote Shiner to let them know they need to check their quality control and after two weeks got some response back from them like "we can't buy beer back because of laws - we can only work through distributors". Kinda a "piss off" response. I didn't even ask for money or beer. No, sorry, no we'll check into it, no we will try to do a better job. I got the feeling they got too big for their britches. Really left a bad taste in my mouth (PUN).

Fast forward to a few days ago. Bought a Shiner variety pack as it has a new Rye beer bundled in and I wanted to try (pretty nice IMO). One of the styles was their hefewiezen. I have had this many times as that is one of my preferred styles - but this one was so bad I ended up pouring it down the drain - which I DO NOT do often. A real sour infection type taste, nothing like what it usually tastes like.

As far as I am concerned - I will not support breweries that refuse to address quality issues. I remember watching the Dogfishhead shows last year and if they did not feel their brew was up to snuff - they dumped the entire thing loosing thousands of gallons and dollars. Looks like Shiner is putting profit above quality (and their customers).

I am currently boycotting Shiner (and I live in Texas). My son got two seperate six packs - one 102 wheat and one Blonde - that tasted horrible a few months back. Not like bad because we don't like the style (I have had both several times, like the Blonde) - bad like possible batch infection. Wrote Shiner to let them know they need to check their quality control and after two weeks got some response back from them like "we can't buy beer back because of laws - we can only work through distributors". Kinda a "piss off" response. I didn't even ask for money or beer. No, sorry, no we'll check into it, no we will try to do a better job. I got the feeling they got too big for their britches. Really left a bad taste in my mouth (PUN).

Fast forward to a few days ago. Bought a Shiner variety pack as it has a new Rye beer bundled in and I wanted to try (pretty nice IMO). One of the styles was their hefewiezen. I have had this many times as that is one of my preferred styles - but this one was so bad I ended up pouring it down the drain - which I DO NOT do often. A real sour infection type taste, nothing like what it usually tastes like.

As far as I am concerned - I will not support breweries that refuse to address quality issues. I remember watching the Dogfishhead shows last year and if they did not feel their brew was up to snuff - they dumped the entire thing loosing thousands of gallons and dollars. Looks like Shiner is putting profit above quality (and their customers).

You don't suppose that instead of "piss off" that maybe they meant they only have control over their beer up to the point when they deliver it to the distributor?

For the record I only drink Shiner when I'm somewhere that only has BMC as the other option. I feel like there are just so many better beers to drink than theirs.

Shiner used to be our go-to beer when we were going to kill a 12 pack of something that we didnt make. Its a relatively cheap and decent BBQ beer, but nothing I'd ever seek out if it went into short supply. We've kind of gotten away from it lately, though. Rahr is rapidly becoming the local commercial beer of choice in our house.

Shiner used to be our go-to beer when we were going to kill a 12 pack of something that we didnt make. Its a relatively cheap and decent BBQ beer, but nothing I'd ever seek out if it went into short supply. We've kind of gotten away from it lately, though. Rahr is rapidly becoming the local commercial beer of choice in our house.

How far does Rahr distribute? I rarely get to Corpus Christi, and the local HEB doesn't have all that much. They carry New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, and a couple of St. Arnold's and they have a mixed 6'er of Real Ale (but I only really like the rye pale ale).

I live far far away from texas, on an island that has just discovered smaller breweries. Originally from New england I was fair familar with the different breweries. With the distribution we get shiner here, not ever really my choice, but still nice to not always see a bud label on tV

How far does Rahr distribute? I rarely get to Corpus Christi, and the local HEB doesn't have all that much. They carry New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, and a couple of St. Arnold's and they have a mixed 6'er of Real Ale (but I only really like the rye pale ale).

Its pretty limited but getting bigger. We were out there the other day, and they're going to lose "microbrewery" status this year - too much production. The laws just changed in Texas, so if you email or call them, they can actually tell you where to buy their beers now. Great bunch of folks, and I'd highly recommend the tour if you make it to Ft Worth.

701 Galveston Avenue
Fort Worth, Texas 76104
(817) 810-9266
[email protected]

I'm interested in trying their newest beer, the Wild Hare Pale Ale coming out soon. It should be interesting, and it's got a pretty cool marketing label behind it.

I enjoy their blonde the most, and wish they would bring back the Comemorator (Shiner 100) which was a great Doppelbock.

I did love the 100, very tasty and wish I'd have thought to save some.

They also just released their spring seasonal (Dortmunder, not a fan) in JANUARY! Its on tap all over town now. Must not have brewed any Frost this year.

Shiner 99 was my favorite. I used to drink Shiner a lot before I was better exposed to beers but now I rarely find myself buying their beers because there's just too many better options. I do still try each annual release. The 102 was ok in my opinion but not the best wheat wine by far. The smokehaus beer is decent as well.

Rahr...I find their beers to be incredibly hit or miss. The winter warmer is good (the barrel aged version is phenomenal) and the alt was pretty good but I find most of their regular offerings incredibly mediocre or just bad. I recently had their scotch ale infused with coffee. It was pretty good although it tasted like they used Folger's or some other cheap coffee. I keep meaning to hit the tour. On Wednesdays they do a tour that includes an experimental beer but the Saturday tour I'm told is also pretty good. If you go on Saturday you can stop at T&P Tavern in the old T&P Station for "Rahr Recovery" with $2.50 Rahr pints. It's owned by a homebrewer so there's a decent mix of beers.

I couldn't agree more with the Rahr sentiment. The barrel aged warmer is great, as was Snowmageddon and the owner, Fritz Rahr (family is actually the Rahr malting company), couldn't be a nicer guy. I also really like their IPA. Most don't because its more English than American, but I think its a great beer.

Rahr...I find their beers to be incredibly hit or miss. The winter warmer is good (the barrel aged version is phenomenal) and the alt was pretty good but I find most of their regular offerings incredibly mediocre or just bad. I recently had their scotch ale infused with coffee. It was pretty good although it tasted like they used Folger's or some other cheap coffee. I keep meaning to hit the tour. On Wednesdays they do a tour that includes an experimental beer but the Saturday tour I'm told is also pretty good. If you go on Saturday you can stop at T&P Tavern in the old T&P Station for "Rahr Recovery" with $2.50 Rahr pints. It's owned by a homebrewer so there's a decent mix of beers.

Where'd you get the Iron Joe? I missed it. They do the experimental on Saturdays, too. Last week was a smoked porter that I liked a lot, but probably wasnt ready for mass appeal. I'm not a fan of Ugly Pug, but other than that one, I like most of their stuff. Pecker Wrecker might be a little overhopped, but not by much.

The only problem I have with Shiner is the inconsistency of their beers inside the same six pack.

I totally get why people don’t like Shiner Bock, but I have probably consumed more of them than any other beer in my days. It was always on special at my college bar, I can still get a six pack of cans for six dollars, and you can drink them all day without getting a stomach ache. A perfect camping beer, in my book. Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t the best beer in the world by a long shot. But it has a special place in my heart.

In its further defense, a story. My brother used to date a woman from the Franconia region of Germany (home to Bamberg and many wonderful German lagers- you should go there). When she was visiting the States, she asked me for a beer out of the fridge, and I handed her a Shiner Bock. She took a sip, nodded her approval, and polished it off. So it can’t be that bad, right?

Check out the HEB at Saratoga and Staples. They'll have a much better beer selection. However I don't know about Rahr being down there.

I thought the liquor store in Rockport (I am trying to remember if that's where you winter), carried or could get beer? I recall stoping in there one holiday weekend and they had "exotics" in the back? (Edit, the liquor store that is just about 1/2 mile up the road on the left, where Hwy 35 splits and runs into town heading wes).

That being said, I though Del Papa and/or Elder from Victoria covered Rockport, and if so, one of them used to provide Guiness many flavors of brew for our rugby events.

Where'd you get the Iron Joe? I missed it. They do the experimental on Saturdays, too. Last week was a smoked porter that I liked a lot, but probably wasnt ready for mass appeal. I'm not a fan of Ugly Pug, but other than that one, I like most of their stuff. Pecker Wrecker might be a little overhopped, but not by much.

Gingerman in Fort Worth.

I know T&P Tavern sometimes gets Rahr specialties, particularly on Saturday when they do $2.50 pints of Rahr for "Rahr Recovery" starting after the tour ends. You might be able to find some of the Rahr one offs at the Gingerman in Dallas or Plano. Possibly also Common Table. I don't think the Old Monk/Idle Rich/Black Friar group gets Rahr.

The Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale is quite interesting. Definitely more bitter than their other beers, but made with Munich malt to give it a darker color than a typical pale ale. Not too much hop nose, it's all in the taste.

My favorite of theirs was the 98 Bavarian Amber -- I can't even find old empty bottles of this one anymore. Bock remains my go to when there's no other choice but BMC. Fairly typical of small bars in TX.

IMHO, Shiner Black is the only beer they make that's worth drinking. It's a fantastic Schwarzbier. I despise nearly everything else they make. Shiner Bock tastes like malty pennies (every time, not just a bad bottle). I'd rather order a Dos Equis or even (gasp) a BMC product over Shiner Bock.

Shiner Black and the Czech Pilsner from a few years ago (I think it was the 101) are my favorites. Shiner Bock is a good beer for tailgating/BBQ since you can get it in cans, and it beats BMC if you're stuck at a place without a good beer selection

I just bought a sixer of their Wild Hare the other day and I like it a lot. Nice hop flavor with a good malt backbone.

I'll second the Wild Hare. Its good hop flavor, rather than overpowering.

I was glad to see a Shiner variety pack in my local corner store. Rarely see TX beers in the NW. Hopefully that changes in the near future.

Shiner made it to Seattle? Nice, they're expanding big time...now if only we could get some more Pacific NW beers in Texas

Only if the laws get repealed. I wish we can get some more brews around the country soon. All the beers yall talk about i cant get my hands on them down here but there are a lot of local brews i'm loving and waiting to get my hands on them. i dont know why TABC has to be such a-holes about it. Its crazy that texas is that strange and strict about alcohol whole other states are more relaxed. One day it will change and breweries can have brew pubs like others do. Anywho, i enjoyed the wild hare pale. Its different from what they usually do. I liked it

Only if the laws get repealed. I wish we can get some more brews around the country soon. All the beers yall talk about i cant get my hands on them down here but there are a lot of local brews i'm loving and waiting to get my hands on them. i dont know why TABC has to be such a-holes about it. Its crazy that texas is that strange and strict about alcohol whole other states are more relaxed. One day it will change and breweries can have brew pubs like others do. Anywho, i enjoyed the wild hare pale. Its different from what they usually do. I liked it

BMC's pockets run deep, and the state capital doesn't mind taking a few bucks from them. They had a bill on the table to allow the sale of craft beer on premise and for brew pubs to begin distributing products off site, but it was shut down by the big boys.

Much love for the 'Bock' up here in NY! We import when family runs down to the southern states.

Back