Shiner ruby redbird issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewtouron

Reaction score
I recently tried to clone the Shiner Ruby Redbird. There are a couple of recipes but nothing with any good results. I sat down for a few hours and tried to develop one with the help of a friend. Beer came out pretty tart, I'm assuming I used to much grapefruit juice. Is there a way to get rid of some of the tartness on this batch? Or do I just have to wait until I attempt to make it again? Thanks

I recently tried to clone the Shiner Ruby Redbird. There are a couple of recipes but nothing with any good results. I sat down for a few hours and tried to develop one with the help of a friend. Beer came out pretty tart, I'm assuming I used to much grapefruit juice. Is there a way to get rid of some of the tartness on this batch? Or do I just have to wait until I attempt to make it again? Thanks

You always can mix your beer with another or a pasteurized juice. You are going to want something sweet, like mango? To figure out your dose ratio by adjusting with known quantities (pour a quart of beer and add a 1/4 cup of juice at a time. Blueberry Redbird sounds good too. Heck you can make a couple of varieties. I did this with a grapefruit saison that had a lot of pucker power. I cut it with POM pomegranate blueberry in the keg. I still didn't like it but my wife did.

You can try using a non-fermentable sweetener to see if that helps. lactose (milk sugar) is commonly used in milk stouts, and you could try adding some to a glass of the beer to see if that helps. Otherwise, there are others like splenda, but I don't like the not-natural flavor of those.

How long has it been sitting? I used mango in a brew recently, and it was way too tart after bottling/sitting for a few weeks. It took a good month and 1/2 for it to tame down enough to be enjoyable.

It's been in the keg for a few days. I decided to boil some lme and add that to it along with a little sugar and back into a bucket. I'll give it a week and see what happens. If I don't like it after that, I'm going to bottle it and give it to some "friends" lol

Back