Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of the Empty CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinylrooster

Reaction score
I have a mini mystery I need help figuring out.

Okay, so I have a kegerator that works totally fine (no leaks) and my co2 tanks normally last a few kegs. BUT two times I have had a brand new CO2 go empty before it made it through one keg. To explain further, both times this happened the co2 was hooked up to the keg for a month with no problems, then I had to leave town for a few weeks and the keg sat for 10-14 days without a pint being pulled (fully carbed and hooked up to the open co2 tabk, just like normal). I came back and the co2 tank was empty. Why would the tank empty itself just because no beer was dispensed for 2 weeks?

Elementary my dear Watson!

(you have a leak!)

Edit: In fairness, I should offer a solution. Put starsan in a spray bottle spray EVERYTHING and look for bubbles. Make sure you use enough starsan in your mix, and the gas will make it bubble wherever the leak is. It can be anywhere, so check the entire gas system, from the post on your keg to the connection at the quick disconnect, to the connection at the manifold (if there is one, to the connection on the other side of the manifold to the connection at the regulator to the connection at the brass nut on your tank. Check the gasket inside that brass nut. You DO have a leak. It's not a mystery. :mug:

The easiest answer is often the right answer but I guess I just didn't want to admit it.

I just don't understand why if I dispense beer on a regular basis the tank will last 4-5 kegs (~3-4 months). If I have a leak, shouldn't it last the same amount of time no matter how often I dispense brew?

The easiest answer is often the right answer but I guess I just didn't want to admit it.

I just don't understand why if I dispense beer on a regular basis the tank will last 4-5 kegs (~3-4 months). If I have a leak, shouldn't it last the same amount of time no matter how often I dispense brew?

I can't answer that, and I can see how it's confounding, but if your C02 went away while you were out of town there's really no other possible answer then a leak.

Trust me when I say this, every one of us has scratched our head over C02 loss thinking it couldn't possibly be a leak, and every one of us either gave up on kegerators altogether or (this is the vast majority of us) found the leak and fixed it. You will too. I know it's frustrating, but you're going to have to invest some time and work into it. I even suggest wiggling all the connections in the gas line while the starsan mixture is on it to see if perhaps something leaks while it's in the kegerator in one position, but not while it's out of the kegerator or in a different position. Buy hose clamps and use them everywhere. Good luck!

The proper title was "Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Empty CO2 Tank." Partial credit.

I have nothing useful to add. Carry on.

My co2 lasts a hell of a lot longer than 4-5 kegs. You have a leak. Do you set your keg lids with higher pressure? That is typically where I have lost co2.

Sent from the kingdom of beer.

+1 for spraying it with sanitizer and watching for bubbles. Messy but effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 to a leak.
You may need to make a thicker solution (dishwash soap and a little bit of water) or even submerge parts under water to trace the problem. Don't forget the connection to your cylinder.

The pressure relief valves on the regulator manifold can be a weak spot, I have one that's very touchy. Also check all your disconnects.

Can be a slow leak on a keg lid or post too.

Back