Shelf life of milled grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
How quickly should milled grains be used if shipped and kept in two tied-off intact plastic bags (double bagged)? Does the type of grain make a difference?

Last edited:
I think it's a personal choice. I've kept it for a week before . The longest I'd go would be maybe 2 weeks . Maybe someone here will have more info on longer times.

When my first born came 3 weeks early I left my milled grain for 6 weeks and the beer came out just fine.

while I wouldn't recommend it, I think as long as you keep it as air tight as possible in a cool, dark place you should be fine up to a month.

What varieties of grain? I have specialty malt (double bagged) in my fridge that I’ve been using for close to a year. Some will roll their eyes but I’ve seen no ill effects.

Base malt, I wouldn’t go that long but specialty malt, without hesitation.

Does the type of grain make a difference?

Some place I read that milled specialty grains (or maybe just roasted grains) start to loose flavors faster than milled base grains. It makes some sense to me. They are more like a roasted coffee. I think in general, if something has a stronger smell that is a sign that there a volatiles that are being lost. I suspect that milled grain in a reasonably air tight container will last for quite a while.

Back