Sheer Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis1957

Reaction score
I recently bought what was advertised as a "Kit in a Can" brewing kit. It arrived today and it is simply a can of liquid malt extract. There is no kit. There isn't even a recipe to use. And that is what I am looking for. Does anyone have a recipe to use with a can of Original John Bull Light Malt Extract? I assume since I now have the Malt Extract, I will need the yeast and hops, but which hops will I need for a light English Ale? All assistance is deeply appreciated. Thanks, Dennis

Dennis,

Run over to Defalco's in Houston. Tell them what you've got...they'll sell you the yeast and hops and anything else you need, and give you a nice little instruction sheet. Worked for me. :cool:

My fee for the above is only one fishing trip. :D

is it a hopped can? if so thats the whole thing except the yeast. hopped extracts go into warm water, (155 degrees) then bring to boil , do that for a bit, then cool, pitch yeast, ferment.

I would say then that you should go to a homebrew shop (as suggested) and talk with someone and make up your own recipe. What kind of beer you looking to make?

I am looking to make a nice British Ale. The closest brew shop is about 2 and 1/2 hours from where I live. This is beginning to get far more expensive than I am willing to put up with.

Dennis1957 said:
I am looking to make a nice British Ale. The closest brew shop is about 2 and 1/2 hours from where I live. This is beginning to get far more expensive than I am willing to put up with.

Nonsense, not to discourage you. Simply then allow the guys here help to make you a recipe. You can then get the ingredients online shipped to you if the drive is too far.

Once your first brew is done, it will all be worth it.

ps - this is post #100 for me :D

Dennis,

You can mail order the rest of the stuff you need from Defalco's or Austin Homebrew Supply . If you have the equipment, the hops, yeast, and a little extra LME won't cost but another $10. If you don't have the equipment, a basic bare minimum setup will run you around $70.

The Defalco's site referenced earlier has a good selection of recipes, along with well written instructions. Pick out one of the recipes that sounds good and post it back here. We'll help you go from there.

You down around Corpus are you, you lucky dog.

What happens is you buy a kit of say Coopers(R) and they tell you to add 1kg of glucose (dextrose). You can add the tin of unhopped malt extract instead if you want.

Turricaine said:
What happens is you buy a kit of say Coopers(R) and they tell you to add 1kg of glucose (dextrose). You can add the tin of unhopped malt extract instead if you want.

Yes, well, there is no indication of needing to purchase anything else on the website. It is listed as a canned kit. After recently speaking with someone at the company I purchased this from, I believe that it is deliberately, and deceptively, listed as a kit.

El Pistolero said:
Dennis,

You can mail order the rest of the stuff you need from Defalco's or Austin Homebrew Supply . If you have the equipment, the hops, yeast, and a little extra LME won't cost but another $10. If you don't have the equipment, a basic bare minimum setup will run you around $70.

The Defalco's site referenced earlier has a good selection of recipes, along with well written instructions. Pick out one of the recipes that sounds good and post it back here. We'll help you go from there.

You down around Corpus are you, you lucky dog.

I will contact DeFalco's later this next week. A lot going on with School starting up again. Yeah, me really lucky to be around Corpus. Nice if you have gills to breathe in all the humdity. Of course, the last time I was in a dry climate my nose would bleed with every sneeze. I think I have all the equipment I need. I have been brewing mead for over two years now. Thanks to all for the assistance.

Latest posts

Back