Shattered

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danoberg76

Reaction score
If you homebrew long enough you WILL become complacent. It isn't a matter of if, it is a matter of when.
You have your routine and when that routine gets interrupted you have a sense of urgency to get back on track. This is why I always have a brew buddy with all-grain. Extract is a different story. Even with a helping hand of a brew buddy eventually Murphy stops by and will try and help (Murphy comes in the form of about 6 pints of homebrew).
Well there I was at flame out, adding my final hops. Grabbed my chiller, and it hit me, I haven't sanitized my carboy. Panic sets in for a moment. No biggie, filled my carboy with water and starsan. Meanwhile went to get everything connected and ready to go. Grabbed a bucket to dump the carboy into, by the way wet hands and glass, not a good combination when your carboy is full.
The carboy only slipped about an inch, but that was all it needed to make contact with the pavement. Well on the bright side, my driveway was well sanitized.
In the 20 years of naval service I learned and preached about the seven P's.
Well on this day I forgot about the seven P's. Proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance.

All in all i was able to recover with only a few minor cuts in both of my feet, and I will let you know in 45 days how it turns out.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445002211.301735.jpg

Scary! Glad to hear you did not seriously get hurt. I am thinking of this more now that I am lowering 6.5 gallon fermenters into the chest freezer.

Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt. I broke a glass carboy in a similar fashion and switched over to Speidel fermenters ever since. That could have been a real bad situation for you.

I don't use glass carboys anymore. Buckets are cheaper to use and replace, easier to move, easier on the healthcare costs due to not breaking and slicing your feet/hands/arms/legs to bits.

Too many of these types of stories on here for me to use glass..

Man that;s scary. I have a friend who got a pretty serious cut the same way. One reason I have started using the plastic fermenters.

Sorry for your loss. A carboy can be sanitized with 2 cups of Starsan solution, and sloshing back and forth, while holding it tight to your body.

After working with aging joints and back, I look for ways not to handle a full carboy.

Another one bites the dust!!

Plastic fermenters for the WIN!!!

Glad you weren't seriously injured. Now buy some plastic or stainless steel fermenters.

I started out with two glass carboys and have one left. When It goes no more glass for me. I always believed glass was better until I've seen many injuries here on HBT....

Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt. I broke a glass carboy in a similar fashion and switched over to Speidel fermenters ever since. That could have been a real bad situation for you.

I decided to stop using glass and go with a 30L Speidel since my nearly-three-year-old daughter likes to "help" me with my beer. I'm on my third batch with it and I'm a huge fan!

I am also glad I wasn't hurt. I think this is where the tide has turned for me and my next investment will be a big mouth bub.

I have one three gallon carboy and it lives happily in my garage gathering dust while my plastic bucket have been worked to death :mug:. The risk of a slip is to great for me to want to use my carboy.

I used the same glass carboys since I started in the late 80s with never a problem. Then last summer my 20 year old nicked one on the garage floor and it shattered, luckily while empty. I couldn't believe it for such a small scratch. Now I am using plastic, I kept two of the glass for aging, but put them in milk crates for some protection.

Latest posts

Back