Sharpie tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henny

Reaction score
I use a permanent marker (Sharpie) ultra fine point to right the contents, date and number of coopers carb tabs used, on the tops of my swing top bottle.

Example:
AW
1/20/09

So I know it is Apfelwein, the date bottled, and the number of carb tabs used.

Anyways, to remove the permanent marker after consuming, simply take a dry erase marker and heavily coat the writing on the swingtop. let dry and it wipes right off! Permanent marker and all.

Thought I would share. Simple thing but makes life easier.

Thanks for the tip. I have a dry erase board on my kegarator. One druck night I mistakenly grabbed the sharpy to jot down a gravity reading. It's been staring at me since. I'll give this a try.

Acetone or nail polish remover does the same thing and is a lot easier. It's an old lab trick for marking up glassware. Just don't try it on plastic.

Dry erase markers have an acetone or similar chemical as a carrier for the dry powder so that after writing, the acetone evaporates and leaves a powder that wipes off. The acetone also removes permanent marker. Though the wife's bottle of nail polish remover will be much faster.

Back