Another thread about temporary labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

der_Missionar

Reaction score
So... What are the things you all are using right now to label your Glass BOTTLES?
I'm trying to find something SIMPLE and cheap... Not easy, right?

I tried:
1. Printing my own Custom labels / adhering with milk - TOO Much work!
2. Alcohol based marker - too much time to clean, Sharpies are just tooo permanent, some come off easier than others....
3. Chalk Marker - Came off itself after being in the refrigerator, leaving me with no labels.
4. Dot Labels - Works okay for caps, but I use mostly fliptop bottles. I don't want to deal with removing sticky labels!

Thinking of trying:
1. White or Yellow China Marker
2. Dissolvable Labels
3. Wet Erase Marker (concerned these come off TOO easily with condensation...)
4. Wine Pen - but I hear they wipe off too easily with condensation
5. Chalky Labels: https://www.amazon.com/Chalky-Talky-Beer-Bottle-Labels/dp/B00OTUNFUY

What is your thoughts?

What do you do?

Last edited:
I print my own from an online printing site. I think I paid less than $10 to use their designs and insert my text. I print them on standard copy paper, cut them out and stick them to the bottles with milk. It works great, they come off easy when dunked in the sink, but seem to stay through handling.

7960DCE0-8CD8-473C-BB0A-37124CF2BDCA.jpeg
I use beerlabelizer.com to create the pdf for the label and have Fedex print them (I upload the pdf online). I use a glue stick to adhere the labels to the bottles. The labels come off pretty easily when I soak them for cleaning. It’s pretty cheap as the prints cost less than a dollar per sheet (12 or 9 per sheet).

When I bottled I would use a fine tip sharply pen and write right on the cap. Just a simple description and the date bottled. This worked well for me.

Colored caps and a printed list of what color belongs to what beer at the moment. Unless you have more than half a dozen different batches bottled at any time you won't ever run out of colors.

EDIT: Sorry, missed point 4 in your list. This obviously doesn't work with fliptops...

So... What are the things you all are using right now to label your Glass BOTTLES?
I'm trying to find something SIMPLE and cheap... Not easy, right?

I tried:
1. Printing my own Custom labels / adhering with milk - TOO Much work!
2. Alcohol based marker - too much time to clean, Sharpies are just tooo permanent, some come off easier than others....
3. Chalk Marker - Came off itself after being in the refrigerator, leaving me with no labels.
4. Dot Labels - Works okay for caps, but I use mostly fliptop bottles. I don't want to deal with removing sticky labels!

Thinking of trying:
1. White or Yellow China Marker
2. Dissolvable Labels
3. Wet Erase Marker (concerned these come off TOO easily with condensation...)
4. Wine Pen - but I hear they wipe off too easily with condensation
5. Chalky Labels: https://www.amazon.com/Chalky-Talky-Beer-Bottle-Labels/dp/B00OTUNFUY

What is your thoughts?

What do you do?
I buy different colored caps to distinguish my beers from each other. I try to buy colors that "match the brew", like a hef- I bought yellow caps, oatmeal stout- black caps,Oktoberfest-Blue caps. gluten free- gold caps. Orange caps for a tangelo pale ale.
I have a bag of green caps coming for my upcoming batch of a green zebra clone(watermelon gose),etc. There are us flag caps ,there are some with beer glasses that appear when the temperature is at like 34* .A picture of a hop cone, etc. I dont label the bottles. But I do use the Beerlabelizer online program to design some nice "logos" ,save and print out a sheet to label the cardboard case box. Makes my brew area walls look nice.

View attachment 628014 I use beerlabelizer.com to create the pdf for the label and have Fedex print them (I upload the pdf online). I use a glue stick to adhere the labels to the bottles. The labels come off pretty easily when I soak them for cleaning. It’s pretty cheap as the prints cost less than a dollar per sheet (12 or 9 per sheet).
I use that site...Nice designs you made !!

I've used Evermine to produce vinyl labels that are essentially the same as window clings--they cling to the bottle, look exactly like real labels, and can be easily peeled off and re-used.

They fool everyone, who think they're bottles from a commercial brewery.

They aren't cheap, and I won't buy them unless they have a sale, as they're just too expensive otherwise. You have to make sure you get the cling version; there's a vinyl version with a sticky side that are one-time uses (primarily), and too expensive for that.

bottlesfrombottling.jpg

Back