Sharing Beer With My Son

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brian just arrived a few days ago from his duty station in Germany. We went to Russian River and had a couple of Pliny The Elder draft's. I wish he could be here in 2 weeks when they crack the Pliny the Younger... But, I'll have one or two for him.

While we were there, he told me that a few days before leaving for the states with his family he took a long 10 hour drive into western Belgium and picked up 2 cases of 24 bottles of Westverletern XII from the Trappist Abby of St. Sixtus... some of which he brought home. We'll pop those when my other son arrives late next week or the following. So, we'll have the opportunity to try the two top beers.. depending on who does the rating.

What was interesting is that you can't just buy this stuff anywhere. It's at the brewery/Abby. And you have to schedule an appointment that fits into a time slot. You have to be there at that time as a drive thru.. and pay at the end with a credit card.

I think , if you want to check out how this is done, you can go to the website HERE. I Googled this and I guess it was possible according to him to get a small amount that was shipped outside the town. They did this to help with the construction project they have at the Abby.. otherwise, I understand it isn't done.

Anyhow, next week, we will be enjoying an awesome beer... at least that's my hope.

Yeah, they did have a small run that was distributed to the US. 6-pack of 330 mL bottles, sold with 2 collectible glasses, retailing for $85. I ended up splitting a pack with a fellow homebrewer, as I knew I'd get the "Westy 12 experience" just as easily from 3 bottles as from 6, and save $42.50. I showed up at my local store at 8:40 AM on release day (they open at 8), and they'd already sold through about 50 cases of their 75-case allocation. So that stuff went quick. And may never be "officially" distributed to the US again.

Sounds like your son got quite a bit, though, if he's got 2 cases in hand. Good for him, and good for you. I think that's a great way to celebrate his return from deployment!

Yes, I'm not sure my palate will be able to appreciate it as I've not had a Belgian that hit me between the eyes and made me say.. "I want another". He's new to brewing and wanted to share an experience that for both him and I will be "once in a lifetime" He heads back for another 2.5 yrs toward the end of the month. Gonna miss him.. but, in all honesty, miss the new little grandkids more. One piece of great technology is Skype.. so, we keep in touch often.

He and I are taking a two session brewing class as a father/son thing. Did an extract wedding cream ale Saturday and will do an extract porter next week. However, in between, we will brew an APA kit here at the house. He won't get to try it unless mom heads over in the next coupla months. But, he'll learn a few things to help him make better beer.

Just saw you're from Healdsburg. Do you know the Healdsburg Brewing Co? The guy is a member here on HBT. I remember interacting with him on here as he was getting his first professional batches going. Seemed like a down to earth guy. Pretty sure he'd love to help you learn a bit.

ThreeGnomes said:
Yes, I'm not sure my palate will be able to appreciate it as I've not had a Belgian that hit me between the eyes and made me say.. "I want another". He's new to brewing and wanted to share an experience that for both him and I will be "once in a lifetime" He heads back for another 2.5 yrs toward the end of the month. Gonna miss him.. but, in all honesty, miss the new little grandkids more. One piece of great technology is Skype.. so, we keep in touch often.

He and I are taking a two session brewing class as a father/son thing. Did an extract wedding cream ale Saturday and will do an extract porter next week. However, in between, we will brew an APA kit here at the house. He won't get to try it unless mom heads over in the next coupla months. But, he'll learn a few things to help him make better beer.

I'm in Santa Rosa, my son is just finishing AIT (He's EOD)...we tipped a couple at Bear Republic while he was home for Christmas.

I've met him.. and had his beer.. but, don't really know him. Didn't know he is on HBT.

Heli, dumb me.. what's AIT/EOD?

When my other son get's here from AZ, we'll all go to Lagunitas, RR and BR. Love 'em all. (the beers and my son's :D )

Latest posts

Back