Shank - built in nipple or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
Trying to figure out the parts I need to buy for my first keg set up.

I have noticed that shanks come in two types - with nipple or without (in which case you need to buy a tail piece assembly.

Any reason to not just buy a shank with a nipple? I can't see a need to change from 3/16 ID beer line.

Thank you.

probably for cleaning. I chose the one with the nipple because I plan on running BLC into it frequently to clean the lines and shank. Not sure if that's the best way to do it but I figure once the line is on there, it'll be tough to take off.

When I eventually get around to buying shanks/taps I will go with the tail piece ones for the fact of making it easier to clean/change out taps etc. This is coming from originally buying non-MFL corny QDs and finding it a ***** when I want to change them for a particular job (if I had MFLs I could just have a number of different "MFL" hoses for different jobs)

It's personal preference. I like the shanks with nipples. One less spot to possibly leak.

Definitely mfl's for the keg disconnects though. Makes life easier...

It's personal preference. I like the shanks with nipples. One less spot to possibly leak.

Definitely mfl's for the keg disconnects though. Makes life easier...

I would like to see a shank with MFL ends... am I dreaming?

Back