Shaken up White Labs vile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hough77

Reaction score
Had a vile of WLP 300 sitting out for a few hours so I can make a starter. (starter is 2 pints and 1 cup of light DME) when I was done cooling the wort, the vile was at room temp and I shook it up to loosen up the yeast stuck on the bottom and sides of the vile. I slowly opened the cap ( knowing of the Co2 build up) and I of course lost some down the sides and on my hand and into the sink. When I poured what was left in the starter, it didn't seem like a lot came out. This happened to me before, but over a bucket of wort. It looked like a may have lost about a table spoon worth of liquid yeast.
Ya think it will be fine, or grab another vile? Brewing an All Grain Hefe on Friday.

The point of making a starter is to grow more yeast. So it's up to you if you want to spend money on more yeast since you're gonna be growing some. I would just feed the starter a couple of times instead.

Had a vile of WLP 300 sitting out for a few hours so I can make a starter. (starter is 2 pints and 1 cup of light DME) when I was done cooling the wort, the vile was at room temp and I shook it up to loosen up the yeast stuck on the bottom and sides of the vile. I slowly opened the cap ( knowing of the Co2 build up) and I of course lost some down the sides and on my hand and into the sink. When I poured what was left in the starter, it didn't seem like a lot came out. This happened to me before, but over a bucket of wort. It looked like a may have lost about a table spoon worth of liquid yeast.
Ya think it will be fine, or grab another vile? Brewing an All Grain Hefe on Friday.

I had the exact same problem once. Now I loosen the cap every now and then while it's sitting out to burp out the gas before I shake it up. That seems to have solved the problem. As Revvy mentioned above, if you salvaged a little yeast when it overflowed you should be ok with a couple "step-ups" on your starter.

Thanks, I thought of that as well but I didn't want to push back brewing. But I can if if means better beer!
Thanks again!

If you're using a stir plate, you might still be able to brew on friday. If the starter doesn't grow enough by then I would push it back indeed... What's your expected OG on the Hefe?

Stauffbier said:
If you're using a stir plate, you might still be able to brew on friday. If the starter doesn't grow enough by then I would push it back indeed... What's your expected OG on the Hefe?

No stir plate, OG is supposed to be 1.049.

Shake up the starter as often as you can. A couple hours before you brew, let the yeast settle to the bottom and see if you can guesstimate how many ml of yeast you have. Then check with something like MrMalty.com to see if you have enough yeast according to your estimate. 1.049 won't require a huge starter.

MrManifesto said:
not trying to be that guy, but it's "vial".

You were that guy, thanx for your 2 cents, have not had to spell "vial" in a long time. Auto correct didn't stop me! Thanx for the waste of a reply!

Latest posts

Back