Shake bottles gently every few days...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch and I seem to recall some post mentioning shaking bottles gently every few days, presumably to activate things a bit (I tried to search a few ways... no luck)

Is this a good practice?

BTW, I brought my batch upstairs in a cool section of the house, 64 deg.. Is this going to be warm enough?

No reason to shake it- the yeast know where to find the sugar! That suggestion was probably to someone who used a very flocculant yeast who had no carbonation in about 3 weeks or so, then to gently rouse the yeast in the bottle by gently shaking.

I try to keep mine as warm as I can- but in the winter it's not usually possible. Mine are at about 64 degrees but it does take longer at 64 than it does at 70!

I've never 'shaken' a bottle. sometimes if your bottles don't want to carb, you will take them out and GENTLY roll them on their side, or invert a few times to suspend the yeast.
but you don't shake them like a naughty baby or anything.

(that last bit was meant as crude humor)

Back