Shade tolerant Hop varieties???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratslinger

Reaction score
Not long ago, I saw a suggestion, probably here on HBT, to grow hops basically up the side of a chimney - this is an idea I might be able to get SWMBO to agree to. Problem being, my chimney is on the north face of my house, and is in shade almost all day.

So, are there any varieties of hops I could grow here in the North East US that would be shade tolerant enough to thrive like this?

I don't have any experience with them but the sunbeam variety is suppose to do well in the shade.

I also have a feral strain that I've been cultivating for a couple of years now that does remarkably well in the shade. I'm not entirely sure what they are but they make good beer. If you PM me I'll send you some rhizomes in the spring.

I have all of mine growing on lines to my deck, which is on the north side of my house. I staked the lines out several feet, so that they get partial sun. The Nuggets that are closest to the house have grown, but have yielded little. The Chinooks are the furthest out, and are bearing like crazy. I'd bet on them, but negotiate for whatever distance out from the chimney you can get for stake placement.

I knew a guy that grew Sunbeam and he also said it did better in the shade. I believe it's suppose to be an ornamental hop. He used it dry hop and said it had a lemony attribute.

I live down south and have only 5-6 hours of sun on my bines each day. Nugget and Cascades. The nuggets are just barely producing but the cascades are doing well, all things considered. Its my first year, and I just harvested the cascades and got about 2 ounces after drying. I think I will have another smaller harvest in a few more weeks for the cascade, but I don't think I will have even a half oz of the nuggets.

I think any C american hop would be tolerant in the shade, since many are derivatives of the hearty Cascades, no?

Back