About to order a bunch of hop plants, need some guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

OakIslandBrewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just to confirm how much of heartful Iron Maiden fan I am (they are the good guys in reality), I'm going to share a glimpse of one of my other serious interests:

View attachment 770674
I've got a thing about trees. They give me wood.
Beautiful! I love wood/trees too, leaning to Oak. I built my bar from oak harvested not far from here. When I bought my property the first thing I did was start planting trees every year, turning our farm land back to a forest.

A little digression from the hop topic that started. I grew hops one season. Lots of fun but lots of work, easier just to buy them.

superiorsat

Reaction score
And the hops are in the ground.
I planted them this weekend, after a few days of letting them sit outside in the pots during the days, then a few days of having them outside during nights also to harden them a bit.
the Summer so far has been kinda sh1tty, so I will have to see how big they get this first year. But I saw some new leafs developing when I put them in the ground so I have some hope, hops are tough little bastards.
The 2 varieties that come from the Southern half of the country I might have to limit to 2 bines each summer so they have a chance to grow cones and get ready for winter before the weather gets too cold, but on the other hand we found a hop plant on our property that has likely stood unattended for decades, have counted 5 bines coming from it already so it seems to thrive here in the unforgiving North...
I would consider building a 12" deep box ( wish I had done this with mine at the start ) around those hops to keep them from roaming under ground and popping up in a different variety's area in about 3 years. My 3 year plants are space the same distance as yours but I put 3 grouped together, 3 Comet then further down the fence line another group of 3 Cashmere. The bines run forever under weed fabric to reach the light of day, and will run for feet under ground and pop up in the yard as far as a few feet away from where the crown is located. So many roots and shoots coming from every where. I'm going to try and retro fix my 2nd year hops after this season that are on the fence that borders my neighbors. I don't want these beasts ( Centennial, and Cascade ) invading his yard.

Homebrew Harry

Reaction score
OMG, you grow tomatoes. I always thought of you as a heartless Iron Maiden fan! That's really made me change my mind.
Whoa. Some of us die hard Iron Maiden fans have hearts, hops, and tomatoes too !
iron-1654270214316-4929.jpg

OP
OP
Erik the Anglophile

Erik the Anglophile

Reaction score
I would consider building a 12" deep box ( wish I had done this with mine at the start ) around those hops to keep them from roaming under ground and popping up in a different variety's area in about 3 years. My 3 year plants are space the same distance as yours but I put 3 grouped together, 3 Comet then further down the fence line another group of 3 Cashmere. The bines run forever under weed fabric to reach the light of day, and will run for feet under ground and pop up in the yard as far as a few feet away from where the crown is located. So many roots and shoots coming from every where. I'm going to try and retro fix my 2nd year hops after this season that are on the fence that borders my neighbors. I don't want these beasts ( Centennial, and Cascade ) invading his yard.
I think I have some sheet metal lying around, that and a good old sledge should do the trick.

superiorsat

Reaction score
This is the main crown and some roots from a 3 or 4 year old cutting. Taking cuttings works extremely well for hops!
View attachment 770673
Check out the crown on this 3 years old cutting that @Hanglow posted on a different thread. Compare that to the size of his foot. That is what is lurking underground on my back alley hops 3rd year, and my 2 year hops on neighbor property line are what I think I need to address. I may also try to drive some sheet steel down instead of digging up everything if the roots allow.

Attachments

• 20220603_095345.jpg
    20220603_095345.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220603_095417.jpg
    20220603_095417.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Homebrew Harry

Reaction score
Check out the crown on this 3 years old cutting that @Hanglow posted on a different thread. Compare that to the size of his foot. That is what is lurking underground on my back alley hops 3rd year, and my 2 year hops on neighbor property line are what I think I need to address. I may also try to drive some sheet steel down instead of digging up everything if the roots allow.
I have the same chair !

Saunassa

Rice River Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
Reaction score
I used the plastic sectional pound in edging, think it is 6" tall, to help keep my bines from spreading. It could be due to having clay loam soil is helping keep them in check too.

OP
OP
Erik the Anglophile

Erik the Anglophile

Reaction score
They have grown rather big just during the summer, except one that is smaller than the rest because it gets more shade from a tree. I will likely move them next spring and place them more in the open part of the yard so they get more sun.
Both the new hops and the old mystery hop plant look like they are about to start flowering soon, even though I don't expect any quantities of hops it will be fun to see if the old hop plant is of the brewers breed.

Attachments

• IMG_20220621_131414.jpg
    IMG_20220621_131414.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220801_084353.jpg
    IMG_20220801_084353.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 0

Saunassa

Rice River Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
Reaction score
How tall is that and can they grow taller if they want? Since yours are old heritage, and more then one type, you may be surprised how well they work late boil for flavor and aroma too and not just for hop stand.
I myself am interested and excited for you to see how these work out.

OP
OP
Erik the Anglophile

Erik the Anglophile

Reaction score
The largest one is about 2m if I were to stretch it out, although it will probably give me more cones next year. Part of the moving plan is that I can build a taller and more sturdy trellis if they are more out in the open part of our yard. They can probably grow as tall as I let them, but they seem to prefer a more bushy style of growth, and the bines start wandering downwards again after a certain height.

OP
OP
Erik the Anglophile

Erik the Anglophile

Reaction score
The hop cones are coming along on the plant that has grown the most during the summer, Böle.
Not much hops but some atleast, although I don't know if they are ready to pick just yet, they are starting to spring back into original shape if squeezed and are drier, but that don't smell anything much yet...

Attachments

• IMG_20220907_175754.jpg
    IMG_20220907_175754.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
OP
OP
Erik the Anglophile

Erik the Anglophile

Reaction score
I guess I will have to wait to next years harvest, gonna dig them up and move them to a better/more sunny spot next spring as soon as the ground thaws.
The mystery hop has lots of cones but they are really small and don't smell of anything besides a little grassy, so likely they are just some decorative variety...😐