About to order a bunch of hop plants, need some guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to confirm how much of heartful Iron Maiden fan I am (they are the good guys in reality), I'm going to share a glimpse of one of my other serious interests:

View attachment 770674
I've got a thing about trees. They give me wood.
Beautiful! I love wood/trees too, leaning to Oak. I built my bar from oak harvested not far from here. When I bought my property the first thing I did was start planting trees every year, turning our farm land back to a forest.

A little digression from the hop topic that started. I grew hops one season. Lots of fun but lots of work, easier just to buy them.

And the hops are in the ground.
I planted them this weekend, after a few days of letting them sit outside in the pots during the days, then a few days of having them outside during nights also to harden them a bit.
the Summer so far has been kinda sh1tty, so I will have to see how big they get this first year. But I saw some new leafs developing when I put them in the ground so I have some hope, hops are tough little bastards.
The 2 varieties that come from the Southern half of the country I might have to limit to 2 bines each summer so they have a chance to grow cones and get ready for winter before the weather gets too cold, but on the other hand we found a hop plant on our property that has likely stood unattended for decades, have counted 5 bines coming from it already so it seems to thrive here in the unforgiving North...
I would consider building a 12" deep box ( wish I had done this with mine at the start ) around those hops to keep them from roaming under ground and popping up in a different variety's area in about 3 years. My 3 year plants are space the same distance as yours but I put 3 grouped together, 3 Comet then further down the fence line another group of 3 Cashmere. The bines run forever under weed fabric to reach the light of day, and will run for feet under ground and pop up in the yard as far as a few feet away from where the crown is located. So many roots and shoots coming from every where. I'm going to try and retro fix my 2nd year hops after this season that are on the fence that borders my neighbors. I don't want these beasts ( Centennial, and Cascade ) invading his yard.

OMG, you grow tomatoes. I always thought of you as a heartless Iron Maiden fan! That's really made me change my mind.
Whoa. Some of us die hard Iron Maiden fans have hearts, hops, and tomatoes too !
iron-1654270214316-4929.jpg

I would consider building a 12" deep box ( wish I had done this with mine at the start ) around those hops to keep them from roaming under ground and popping up in a different variety's area in about 3 years. My 3 year plants are space the same distance as yours but I put 3 grouped together, 3 Comet then further down the fence line another group of 3 Cashmere. The bines run forever under weed fabric to reach the light of day, and will run for feet under ground and pop up in the yard as far as a few feet away from where the crown is located. So many roots and shoots coming from every where. I'm going to try and retro fix my 2nd year hops after this season that are on the fence that borders my neighbors. I don't want these beasts ( Centennial, and Cascade ) invading his yard.
I think I have some sheet metal lying around, that and a good old sledge should do the trick.

This is the main crown and some roots from a 3 or 4 year old cutting. Taking cuttings works extremely well for hops!
View attachment 770673
Check out the crown on this 3 years old cutting that @Hanglow posted on a different thread. Compare that to the size of his foot. That is what is lurking underground on my back alley hops 3rd year, and my 2 year hops on neighbor property line are what I think I need to address. I may also try to drive some sheet steel down instead of digging up everything if the roots allow.

Attachments

• 20220603_095345.jpg
    20220603_095345.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220603_095417.jpg
    20220603_095417.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Check out the crown on this 3 years old cutting that @Hanglow posted on a different thread. Compare that to the size of his foot. That is what is lurking underground on my back alley hops 3rd year, and my 2 year hops on neighbor property line are what I think I need to address. I may also try to drive some sheet steel down instead of digging up everything if the roots allow.
I have the same chair !

I used the plastic sectional pound in edging, think it is 6" tall, to help keep my bines from spreading. It could be due to having clay loam soil is helping keep them in check too.

They have grown rather big just during the summer, except one that is smaller than the rest because it gets more shade from a tree. I will likely move them next spring and place them more in the open part of the yard so they get more sun.
Both the new hops and the old mystery hop plant look like they are about to start flowering soon, even though I don't expect any quantities of hops it will be fun to see if the old hop plant is of the brewers breed.

Attachments

• IMG_20220621_131414.jpg
    IMG_20220621_131414.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220801_084353.jpg
    IMG_20220801_084353.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 0
How tall is that and can they grow taller if they want? Since yours are old heritage, and more then one type, you may be surprised how well they work late boil for flavor and aroma too and not just for hop stand.
I myself am interested and excited for you to see how these work out.

The largest one is about 2m if I were to stretch it out, although it will probably give me more cones next year. Part of the moving plan is that I can build a taller and more sturdy trellis if they are more out in the open part of our yard. They can probably grow as tall as I let them, but they seem to prefer a more bushy style of growth, and the bines start wandering downwards again after a certain height.

The hop cones are coming along on the plant that has grown the most during the summer, Böle.
Not much hops but some atleast, although I don't know if they are ready to pick just yet, they are starting to spring back into original shape if squeezed and are drier, but that don't smell anything much yet...

Attachments

• IMG_20220907_175754.jpg
    IMG_20220907_175754.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
I guess I will have to wait to next years harvest, gonna dig them up and move them to a better/more sunny spot next spring as soon as the ground thaws.
The mystery hop has lots of cones but they are really small and don't smell of anything besides a little grassy, so likely they are just some decorative variety...😐

One of the hop plants have started to shoot 2 bines, the other ones are still slumbering.
I digged around them a little with my hands to see what the roots looked like, and they all seemed to be doing good so I should get more growth in the coming week or two.
Mind that proper spring has only been here for about a week, most of the snow has melted except a little left in some ditches and really shady spots.

I did not harvest last autumn as none of the hops seemed to have produced any lupulin to speak, and not that many cones.
Hopefully this years harvest will be better, have some holes digged out in the open that I will place them in so they get more sun, in addition to the 24hr daylight we have by now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230516_163112.jpg
    IMG_20230516_163112.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
So I think I have managed to kill all but one hop plant.
The one that survived was the one that had most soil around the "crown" of the root, the others the soil had settled a bit around and left them a little exposed.
Just ordered 2 new rhizomes of the type Böle and Korsta, in addition to Gamla Källmon that survived.
Gonna be extra vigilant to mound some soil around and cover with leaves this fall...

So I think I have managed to kill all but one hop plant.
The one that survived was the one that had most soil around the "crown" of the root, the others the soil had settled a bit around and left them a little exposed.
Just ordered 2 new rhizomes of the type Böle and Korsta, in addition to Gamla Källmon that survived.
Gonna be extra vigilant to mound some soil around and cover with leaves this fall...
That's a shame, I assume no signs of sprouting is your indicator of their demise?

5 of my 6 plants are climbing the ropes, probably 24" tall while last one is maybe 4" tall, the others had already had the bull shoots cut by the time it decided to join the party. Strange winter maybe had an influence 🤔
It may be different varieties. I have some growing like crazy while Saaz is only 4 inches tall. Hoping this year I get something off the Saaz its 2nd yr growth.

That and the fact the crowns were kinda brown and soggy.
The fact that we've had the coldest spring and pre-summer in a decade doesn't really help either...
this is sad news, I was so looking forward to see what the varieties looked like. its possible some still may survive, give them a little time. also , your surrounding area looks perfect for hops, nettles means good soil, poplar I think has a sort of symbiosis with hops(also willow).

There is one thing, I see you have buttercups there, that can be a sign of soil that gets on the boggy side, which may rot hops roots, especially when they are dormant and not using the water. just a thought, i cant be certain from the pics, but It might help to plant them in a mound next time.

Different varieties of hops definitely grow at different paces. IMO Nuggets are the triffids in the hop family. Pictured are from left to right Cascade, Nugget and Saaz. All three are second year growth. The Nugget I believe is unstoppable.
20230624_070356.jpg20230624_070408.jpg

All three were cut back to the ground about a month ago. Notice the new sprouts on the Nugget. They were trimmed back just 7 days ago. I also have 2 Nugget plants out at the farm with 10 different varieties and just like the one at home, the Nuggets look just like this one.

This is the survivor, I moved it a while ago, and it had bines about a meter long.
But then a few days ago I discovered they were bull bines so they got cut down and proper ones allowed to sprout, gonna keep three bines to ensure they produce cones before the weather gets too cold.

I am well aware my lawn looks like a battlefield right now, I digged out the foundation last fall and fixed some proper drainage and insulation for the basement, and the ground must settle before I level it with new soil and plant grass...

Attachments

• IMG_20230624_150139.jpg
    IMG_20230624_150139.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230624_145733.jpg
    IMG_20230624_145733.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
A question to all hop experts here, should I trim off the lowest branches that are shooting outwards? It has started to shoot some branches further up aswell so I was wondering if it needs some help to focus on those instead?

Attachments

• IMG_20230711_154059.jpg
    IMG_20230711_154059.jpg
  • IMG_20230711_154054.jpg
    IMG_20230711_154054.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 0
A question to all hop experts here, should I trim off the lowest branches that are shooting outwards? It has started to shoot some branches further up aswell so I was wondering if it needs some help to focus on those instead?

A small plant like that, I'd leave it be and let it develop some biomass. The leaves are producing energy for the plant, which it will use to grow bigger, develop more roots, etc. If you want to try to train some stray runners, just wrap them around main body of plant when they get long enough.

I'd hoped it would have gotten bigger, but I had some setbacks this second year with a unusually cold/drawn out spring and around mid june I discovered what I thought were proper shoots were actually bulls. So it has only had about a month of "proper" growth.
And I've only kept 3 bines on purpose to ensure full growth before season's ending.

I did not trim my vines at all for the first couple of years, , just trained all the shoots up. They are big and hardy now, to the point I have to dig trenchs between some of them to keep their rhizomes from getting mixed up.
Yeah, I planted mine way too close. Last year when I went to harvest I realized that half of what I thought were my Triple Pearl hops were actually a stray Chinook bine that popped up over there. I ended up just mixing together all my harvested cones, since they where hard to separate and were 80% Chinook anyway. I still need to brew with those from last year!

We've been away down south for a few weeks and the hops really went mental during that time...
It seems to have started flowering aswell so I might actually get a decent harvest this year.
The replacements for the ones who died are coming along nicely aswell, with a little winter preparations they should survive and produce cones next year.

Attachments

• IMG_20230807_154235.jpg
    IMG_20230807_154235.jpg
  • IMG_20230807_160137.jpg
    IMG_20230807_160137.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230807_160549.jpg
    IMG_20230807_160549.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
I wish I could say the same @Erik the Anglophile , our weather in N. Alabama has been too hot and dry or too much rain. Of course my Nuggets are going like crazy. A few cones on my Cascades, centennials and Columbus but I'm very disappointed with all five varieties that I purchased as plants. They are barely staying alive. However at my house my 3 yr old Saaz is finally about 14 ft tall, my Cascade is close to 18 and it has cones forming. Again, of course my Nuggets is going crazy, cones galore and about 25 feet long.. Here in this environment hops need a lot of care and attention. The 3 at my home are babied yet only the Nugget excells.

A quick update for anyone who cares...
I think I will be able to harvest in a few days, most cones are fairly large and "papery", springing back to shape if compressed.
But they don't have a lot of fragrance so I will let them mature a littlemore and harvest maybe tuesday or wednesday.

Attachments

• IMG_20230902_154208.jpg
    IMG_20230902_154208.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230902_154234.jpg
    IMG_20230902_154234.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
So when you tear open a hop and smell it there is not much to it? Same when you crush it between your fingers? Mine still green have lots of aroma.
I will agree that nuggets are beasts and can handle adverse conditions and neglect better then most.

just still too young to have the full flavour id say. leaving them longer might help, but i noticed that even if the plant has a good crop, if its not yet fully established, like 3 years and really strong, they still smell like grass clippings...

Back