SG and Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlito2017

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first batch in about 15 years, I am making a RJS Craft Winemaking Premeur Kit. It Comes with grape peels and seeds 18 Liter 8 week Kit. They suggest Primary and secondary fermentation. Primary 6 to 8 days if SG was at or below 1.020 mine was at .993 on day 8. Secondary should be in a carboy with airlock for another week or until SG 0.998 or lower then degas, HOWEVER my SG is already at 0.993.
Question, will I cause any problems by letting this go another week in a carboy with airlock for another full week Then rack and degas.
The temp is about 75°

Sorry long winded...
Thank in advance, C :)

Since the SG is already below 1.00, the wine is basically done fermenting. If you leave it leave in the carboy for another week, it will just age a bit and there should be no problems.

Agreed that the wine is done fermenting. If it is still sitting on the skins&seeds though, you will continue to extract tannin, particularly the bitter tannins from the seeds. This will increase the astringency of the young wine until the tannins polymerize with aging. So it really depends on the style of wine you are trying to make and what your plans are with the secondary and aging. It already should be a full bodied wine after 8 days on skins/seeds. Racking it off the lees now will not hurt.

Back