Set temperature for beer refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
I currently have my beer fridge set @35F but I find that I enjoy my beers a bit more after they have warmed up a few degrees.
The problem I have is that I also store all my luquid yeast harvests in here too. How warm can I set my temp controller and not have to worry about my yeast ? Is 40F to high for storing yeast?

Another question:
I have 3 kegs I serve from in there and would have to turn up the co2 if I turn up the temperature. Will this in turn use more co2? Meaning will it be a noticeable increase in use of co2?

38 is where I keep mine. I found that when I went higher (40) I had some issues with my bottles made from the kegs which were then kept at lower temperatures.

I have a rye ipa that tastes sooo much better after its warmed. I think I'm going to adjust my fridge soon too.

38 is where I keep mine. I found that when I went higher (40) I had some issues with my bottles made from the kegs which were then kept at lower temperatures.

Do you also store your liquid yeast in your beer fridge? That's the main concern I have with raising the temperature. Will my yeast be ok at 38-40?

I like to stay below 38. This is based on a t-stat at the center of the fridge. Keep in mind that without a fan, your fridge can vary greatly from top to bottom. I sometimes do lagering / cold conditioning in my kegerator while the keg is carbonating, so I like it on the cold side. Afraid to go much lower as before I had a fan I ended up with a frozen keg when one was low.

Do you also store your liquid yeast in your beer fridge? That's the main concern I have with raising the temperature. Will my yeast be ok at 38-40?

I'm not a microbiologist, but I do keep my yeast in this fridge. Made plenty of healthy starters and beers from it so I don't think the temp is too low for them.

Back