Set Power Cooler for Glycol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coltr88

Reaction score
I searched to see if there was any threads on this and didn’t see any, sorry if this has already been discussed.

I’m looking the the Set Power AJ30 as a glycol chiller option. It runs off a compressor and reviews say it can get down to 5F. It even has a app to control it. Only thing I don’t know is if it can hold liquid. I’ve asked and waiting to hear back on that.

Is there anything that sticks out that would not make this work for one 7 gallon fermenter? With glycol I would think I can cold crash as well. Looks to good to be true for the cost compared to a chiller.

https://www.setpowerusa.com/collect...freezer/products/setpower-aj30-12v-car-fridge

I think it’s an interesting idea and I think there might be some really creative cooling solutions out there that ought to be tested and this is probably one of them. The claimed 50F to 0F in 50 minutes sounds pretty impressive but I notice it’s only listed at 55 watts which doesn’t seem like much power when even the smallest chillers I’ve heard of are in the hundreds of watts.
Maybe it would be able to chill a full 5 gallon batch slowly, but I would worry about its duty cycle and if it was up to the task of running continuously long enough to cool the whole batch and keep running long enough to maintain temperature. But then I’m generally pretty skeptical when it comes to the longevity and of inexpensive gear with lots of moving parts which could break and then destroy all the savings.
I’ll be watching to see what others think and if there is any real world experience with this cooler or any of the other similar ones.

Back