set and forget it, where do I hook up the gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoa

Reaction score
I am trying the set it and forget method of carbing for the first time. I can't seem to find if I should hook the gas up to the input or the output? I have always went with output for force carbing, but am not sure for this method.

I always use the "in" post. Some people use the "out" post, thinking that since the CO2 has to travel through the beer, it would carbonate it faster. But the CO2 just quickly bubbles up to the top of the keg, and still doesn't absorb into the beer until it reaches the headspace at the top. Also, the posts are different sizes, and it's a PITA to remove the gas quick-disconnect after is has been installed onto the "out" post.

Not to mention liquid in the regulator. I've had that after hooking up the gas to the out post, but only after turning off the gas. Stupid... I know. But it was for the sake of science, and it didn't seem to speed up the process either.

I always use the "in" post. Some people use the "out" post, thinking that since the CO2 has to travel through the beer, it would carbonate it faster. But the CO2 just quickly bubbles up to the top of the keg, and still doesn't absorb into the beer until it reaches the headspace at the top. Also, the posts are different sizes, and it's a PITA to remove the gas quick-disconnect after is has been installed onto the "out" post.

You beat me to it. Unless you can keep the CO2 in a micro bubble form, and not in the headspace at the top of the keg, gas throught liquid post is no faster than the gas post.

Gas into solution is all about maximizing the contact time, and big bubbles out the dip tube rocking to the top of the keg's head space isn't maximizing a thing :)

While putting it on the out post may or may not HELP you, it certainly won't HURT you. At worst, it carbs up at the same speed. At best, it carbs up faster.

Of course, it IS tougher to get the QD back off, but if you're willing to deal with that....

Back