Session Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kempshark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for a session stout? Have only had one session stout and, naturally it was very thin and wasn't very roasty or robust. Am new to brewing and would love to brew a 4% or lower abv stout that is rich, creamy and full bodied. Stouts are my favorite beers, but most of the ones I like are 7%-12% abv.....not a problem, but would enjoy having a good stout I could enjoy more of without getting wasted. Thought someone may already be brewing something similar and be willing to share the recipe. Thanks for any input or advice.

Hard to beat Guinness as a session stout IMO. Kegs of this take up about 1/2 the cellar space in most pubs where I'm from. It's hugely popular for good reason.

Certainly not thin. Full bodied and creamy deliciousness.

There are some Guiness clone recipes in the database.

Guinness-9-pints.jpg

I recently did a mocha stout.

6.5 lbs MO
1 lb Munich
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz roasted barley
8 oz C120
4 oz black patent
12 oz lactose

Mashed at 154F. Added vanilla and cacao nibs for 5 days and 2 cups cold brew coffee at bottling. I used Chinook annd EKG for hops but only for about 25 IBUs.

Ended up about 4.5% ABV. With the lactose and high mash temp, it came out full bodied and creamy. It would also make a nice plain session stout without the "mocha" additions. Back off a few ounces of grain to get below 4%. You could also use a lower attenuating yeast.

I recently did a mocha stout.

6.5 lbs MO
1 lb Munich
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz roasted barley
8 oz C120
4 oz black patent
12 oz lactose

Mashed at 154F. Added vanilla and cacao nibs for 5 days and 2 cups cold brew coffee at bottling. I used Chinook annd EKG for hops but only for about 25 IBUs.

Ended up about 4.5% ABV. With the lactose and high mash temp, it came out full bodied and creamy. It would also make a nice plain session stout without the "mocha" additions. Back off a few ounces of grain to get below 4%. You could also use a lower attenuating yeast.

That sounds really tasty....I love a good coffee stout, as well as milk stouts with and without cacao and/or vanilla. Thanks for the recipe.

Back