American Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcampbell197

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for input on an American Stout recipe I've been working on. I'm planning on brewing this in a couple of weeks and would very much like some input. Water profile is Bru'nwater Black Balanced. All comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• Rep.pdf
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • I find Special B overpowering at more than 1 or 2%, but it might work for you.
  • Lots of Munich in a stout is a great idea.
  • I'd probably go for Maris Otter instead of the pale.

Ooh, I know! Replace the Special B completely with either Simpsons DRC or Briess Extra Special.

And I agree that the Carafa Special isn’t going to do much for you here. You could swap it out for more chocolate. Or swap both it and the chocolate out for chocolate rye.

Last edited:
I was wondering about the special B I have had mixed results with it in the past. I have incorporated some changes based on your input and have attached the edited formula

Attachments

• Rep1.pdf
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks to comments just like the above, I've found myself in the possession of 16 ounces of Weyermann Chocolate Rye.
But I don't know what to do with it! Who's got some recipes with chocolate rye in them?!?

Anywhere you'd use chocolate barley malt. Replace 1:1, or even a bit heavier with the rye. There's no husk, no bitterness. Just yummy chocolate-y roast.

I was wondering about the special B I have had mixed results with it in the past. I have incorporated some changes based on your input and have attached the edited formula

Those two roast malts are great. It'll give you two dials. Want more chocolate, non-bitter roast? Add more chocolate rye. Want more roasty, slightly ashy, slightly bitter? Add more roasted barley.

Personally, I wouldn't put centennial/chinook anywhere near a stout, though it is just whirlpool. The IBU level definitely makes it "American" but for my personal taste, I wouldn't be going that high.
The chocolate rye and DRC suggestions were great though, as is making a good chunk of the grist Munich 2. We actually had a talk about how great chocolate rye is at our brew club meeting last night.

Personally, I wouldn't put centennial/chinook anywhere near a stout, though it is just whirlpool. The IBU level definitely makes it "American" but for my personal taste, I wouldn't be going that high.
The chocolate rye and DRC suggestions were great though, as is making a good chunk of the grist Munich 2. We actually had a talk about how great chocolate rye is at our brew club meeting last night.
what would you suggest for the hops? How about a substitution of Cascade for the Centennial. As for the Chinook I find a late or whirlpool addition of Chinook gives an interesting character to Porters and Stouts. I picked that one up from Denny Conn.

Last edited:
what would you suggest for the hops? How about a substitution of Cascade for the Centennial. As for the Chinook I find a late or whirlpool addition of Chinook gives an interesting character to Porters and Stouts. I picked that one up from Denny Conn.
Hey, you'll be drinking it, so use whatever you like! I'm a bit of a C-hop hater, and think they especially clash with the roast of a stout, but you do you. Personally I like Willamette, EKG, stuff like that in porters and stouts.

I have a stout recipe I'm putting together in Beersmith, (haven't brewed it yet). I'm going with Maris Otter, Golden Naked Oats, (and maybe some flaked oats), Chocolate Rye, Roasted Barley, and some dark DME to raise the gravity. I plan to hop with Magnum at 60 mins. and EKG Fuggle at 20 mins. US-05 for yeast. Anyway, that's today....I keep tweaking it so it may change until I actually brew it.

Last edited:
I think you're way over on crystal malts, especially with that much Munich. My opinion on dark malt late additions is that it's wasted potential. If you want less extraction, you can just lower the amounts and mash them the whole way through.

This recipe is the one that scored a 48/50 in competition.

1678380074229.png

In the can't-go-wrong category, you could try British hops like EKG or Fuggle or (my favorite!) Boadicea, but is it really an American stout, then? So another can't-go-wrong choice would be Crystal and Northern Brewer.

But my personal opinion is that hopping an American Stout is the time to let your freak flag fly. I think you'd be A-OK with Centennial, and/or Cascade, and/or Chinook. I've done Calypso and Lotus and El Dorado and BRU-1. But go nuts!

Thanks for the input I will let my "freak flag" fly attached is the latest iteration of this recipe with some changes to my hopping

Attachments

• Rep2.pdf
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
I think you're way over on crystal malts, especially with that much Munich. My opinion on dark malt late additions is that it's wasted potential. If you want less extraction, you can just lower the amounts and mash them the whole way through.

View attachment 814619

Last edited:

View attachment 814619
Thanks for the input Bobby I made some changes to the recipe based on your input. Left the roasted grains as late additions although I will keep your comment in mind. attached is the latest iteration of the recipe would like your feedback

Attachments

• Rep3.pdf
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
A stout is a beer I'd never think to add whirlpool hops to as imo all hopping can effectively be accomplished during the boil. But if that's what you want then go for it, it's just not something that I would want to do.

Thanks for all of the input. Taking everyone's comments into consideration I have arrived at the recipe I will be brewing which is attached to this post. I will report back in a couple of months when this beer goes on tap.

Attachments

• Rep4.pdf
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
Brewed this recipe yesterday it is currently fermenting. I am looking forward to seeing the results of our collaboration.
rwb stout.jpg

here it is just burst carbed yesterday with 30 psi for about 20 hours currently sitting at 10 psi to finish carbing. I brewed it according to the recipe I posted previously. This is an awesome stout thanks to all of you that gave me input on my recipe. If anyone is in Las Cruces NM this sucker is on tap soon and please drop me a message and I'd be happy to share it with you. I must say all of your comments made this beer what it is those comments were
(1) replace the chocolate malt with rye chocolate malt
(2) cut back on the crystal and
(3) don't hold the roasted malts for the vorlauf.
I did these three things and because of that I have 10 gallons of a really good american stout.
recipe is attached

Attachments

• RWB stout.pdf
    160.1 KB · Views: 0
Back