Session recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srceenplay

Reaction score
Thinking of brewing a session beer with what I have.
Full boil

4# of light dme
3/4 ounce of 7c at 50
1/4 ounce of 7c at 15
1 ounce of cascade dry hop

What else??
I need steeping grains.
Thoughts?

It looks like you are headed to a session pale ale. I would do something like 1/2# vienna and 1/2 # crystal 20 for steeping grains. I would also increase the 15 minute addition to at least 1/2 ounce or move it later in the boil. maybe 5 minutes.

Plug the numbers into one of the online brewing calculators. Or buy one of the computer programs. They will help immensely.

I only have 1ounce of 7c. I was hoping the dry hop would make up for the lack of aroma additions.

If you are not going to get any more hops you should still move some to a later addition.
Perhaps:

.5 oz 7c @ 60
.5 oz 7c @ 20
1 oz cascade @ 5

I think I would put the priority on late kettle additions and skip dry hopping when working with few hops. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your help. I'm new and never used Vienna, so I'll give it a try.

Im going with a hop addition like this
7c 60
7c 15
Cascade 5

Looks about like this when done. I think pretty balanced.

3.7 abv
36.1 ibu
0.95 bu:gu

Vienna must be mashed, but it can self convert so if you "steep" it in 1.5 quarts of water per pound, you're mashing it.

I'd probably be more include to leave out the Vienna malt, and use some victory malt instead. Maybe .5 pound. It has a toasty/biscuity flavor, so it brings a lot of depth to a simple session ale.

I have been treating my steeps as a mash anyway while my bk heats up in outside. Maybe with a little to much water(1gallon). It's is hard to holder a temp on the electric stove though, about a 5 degree swing.

Thanks for giving me something else to think about.

What about malto dextrin. What would that do?

Yooper knows her stuff. When she gives you advice, you should probably take it. :)

I wouldn't worry about a 5 degree swing. As long as you stay around 145-160 I would think you will get the color and flavor from the specialty malts that you desire without any real noticeable changes to body or what types of flavor are extracted.

Back