Session IPA help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mallchamber

Reaction score
Hey all-

I wanted to make a session IPA similar to "wolf pup session IPA". On their website it lists the grain and hops but obviously lot the schedule. I messed around with what they provided (- two hops. Mosaic & equinox) and put in into beersmith. Not sure if taking those two out will make a huge difference? Here's what I came up with--

AmountNameType#
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain1
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)Grain2
12.00 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)Grain3
8.00 ozRye Malt (4.7 SRM)Grain4
0.50 ozSimcoe [13.0%] - Boil 60 minHops5
0.50 ozChinook [13.0%] - Boil 30 minHops6
0.50 ozCascade [5.5%] - Boil 20 minHops7

1 pkgsCalifornia Ale (White Labs #WLP001)Yeast
2.00 ozGalaxy [14.0%] - Dry Hop 2 daysHops9
1.50 ozCitra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 0 days

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Cheers!

Have you tried messaging them? Most breweries are pretty open about their recipes.

did they respond? I messaged thrm and was only directed to their page

They did, here’s what he sent me-

First off, the malt bill is pretty interesting. You’re going to want to use around 50% Maris Otter (we use Crisp). We also use around 5% Rye and 12% Crisp Dextrin malt. All of these provide the solid malt backbone to support all of the hops. The remaining malt is simply Rahr 2-row.

We don’t use any hops for bittering; we simply get our 45-48 IBU from a single addition of Simcoe in the whirlpool.

We dry hop twice. The first is with Simcoe, Chinook, and Mosaic. The 2nd is Mosaic, Equinox, and Galaxy. We dump the hops 2 days after each dry hop.

The ABV is 4.5 and the target IBU is 45. The Sulphate to Chloride ratio is around 2.5. We don’t it to taste too minerally from too much sulphate.

mate, that's awesome, thanks! if there is any more info - eg, how many hops for dry hopping, or mash temps, or anything, please let me know. I love that beer :)

Back