Serviceberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
It's fruit season where I'm at, and I recently picked a couple pounds of Serviceberries. I was thinking about throwing them in a beer. Anybody ever use these before? Just thinking making a fruited farmhouse, but would like to hear what anyone else's experiences might have been with these berries.

It's fruit season where I'm at, and I recently picked a couple pounds of Serviceberries. I was thinking about throwing them in a beer. Anybody ever use these before? Just thinking making a fruited farmhouse, but would like to hear what anyone else's experiences might have been with these berries.
No one's brewed with serviceberries? That surprises me.

Never saw them mentioned here.
And I had never heard of them (or their many aliases) but just learned they are hardy enough to grow in New England, fwiw...

Cheers!

Never saw them mentioned here.
And I had never heard of them (or their many aliases) but just learned they are hardy enough to grow in New England, fwiw...

Cheers!
I don't know much about them. Learned about mostly from foraging subs, and reading about edible berries around where I'm at, PNW. They're pretty sweet. Look like Blueberry on a cherry stem. Well, I'll make something and report back

I've only been able to find the time to make wine out of them and I must say they make GREAT wine. The wine profile is in between blueberries and grapes. So if you're planning on doing a beer I'd recommend brewing up something with blueberries in mind. If it were me, I'd freeze them IOT rupture the cells better, then carefully make a syrup. Use the syrup in the finished beer to taste, and the leftovers for pancakes!

I've only been able to find the time to make wine out of them and I must say they make GREAT wine. The wine profile is in between blueberries and grapes. So if you're planning on doing a beer I'd recommend brewing up something with blueberries in mind. If it were me, I'd freeze them IOT rupture the cells better, then carefully make a syrup. Use the syrup in the finished beer to taste, and the leftovers for pancakes!
Thanks for the idea. They're in the freezer right now. Didn't think to make a syrup.

My thoughts on flavored beer is just that - make the beer and then add non beer flavors

You'd have to stir it constantly like you would for jams or making candy in order to keep it from burning to the pan. It doesn't have to be a consistency like maple syrup, and I should also add not to boil it, you lose aromatics.

I took your advice and heated them up a bit, mashed and stirred them. Added them after primary ferment was through. It was a farmhouse ale of sorts. It turned out nice. Like someone said earlier they add a little wine and blueberry type thing. It's good. I might add a little more next time though, but I don't remember how much I added this time so who knows.

Latest posts

Back