Serrano Chili help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBroBrews

Reaction score
Ok I was thinking of adding some Serrano chillies to my secondary on a porter, I was thinking two whole chillies as this will give me the desired amount of heat I think I want. Could someone help me with the steps to add these to my secondary as I have never brewed with fruits or additives other than hops in the secondary.

Do I need to soak these in vodka overnight? Or can I just throw them in?

I want to try to avoid loosing any heat from the chillies. It will be going into a 5 liter batch.

De-seed, peel, broil, and add to secondary in a hop bag. Two serranos are going to get your beer hot as hell pretty fast, so I'd taste it in 12 hours, then again in 24, and so on.

I added serranos to about three gallons of robust porter a while back. I'm not sure if it was my process or what but that beer was terrible. It was quite a bit hotter than what I wanted and even with the robust porter background I still got a strong vegetal taste that I didn't care for at all. I sliced mine and put them in a hop bag in secondary for a couple weeks(too long?). Keep us updated on how yours turns out.

Latest posts

Back