Sense of Impending Dread and Doom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
doomed.gif

I bought some cool judge gifts for an upcoming competition, handmade from a guy on Etsy. Asked him to ship them via UPS (which for my locale seldom fails me). Got notification this morning that he shipped them USPS. Two weeks ago, I went five days without a scrap of paper being delivered to my mailbox. This could be very very bad. Oh well, it could have been Fedex, which has left packages for me literally in the street.

I feel you on this @Pappers_ ! My family and I moved to a more rural location after living in a city-think Houston like but on a smaller scale.

We now live in what I consider the boonies...we're surrounded by small farms, two wineries and we're right by the Housatanic River. No cell service and our driveway is LONG! Thankfully UPS and Fedex drive up to the house and leave the packages...this is something new for me though not getting mail every day though...very weird experience!

Get used to stuff taking longer to arrive. USPS is doing some efficiency stuff that has clearly contributed to delays. I recently had a package shipped from Ann Arbor that sat in Detroit for three days before moving along...

"The new policies include hours being cut back within the US Postal Service, according to the memo obtained by CNN that shows talking points given to USPS managers across the country on July 10.

According to the memo, overtime, including late trips and extra trips by USPS workers, is no longer authorized or accepted. This is explained as a cost cutting measure that could save the financially struggling USPS around $200 million.

"One aspect of these changes that may be difficult for employees is that, temporarily -- we may see mail left behind or mail on the workroom floor or docks ... which is not typical," reads the memo.

The memo states any mail left behind will be reported with the "root causes" of the delays addressed the next day, with the intention of the volume of delayed mail shrinking over time, but the reality of that remains unclear as the changes are new.

The Washington Post reported that bins of mail otherwise ready for delivery have been left in post offices due to the scheduling and route changes, and letter carriers are sorting more mail themselves, increasing the delivery time. US Rep. Andy Kim of New Jersey last week wrote to DeJoy, saying that his constituents have been experiencing delivery delays for more than three days."

So, from the etsy website, here is a photo of the handmade, hardwood openers I ordered as gifts for judges at the Chicago Cup:

il_1140xN.1860851817_89je.jpg

We're doing a limited entry/style competition, with judging in judges homes and partnering via zoom/facetime/phone. Limited backroom operations. Medal round panel of three judges, spread out with their own tables in an open, ventilated space. Placing a high priority on safety.

I'll let you know how this delivery goes LOL.

The Detroit distribution center seems to be particularly problematic. Lots of stuff we’ve had coming has gotten hung up for days or one case weeks. Seems like it gets to there no problem.

The USPS situation is going to get worse, I fear. Some folks want to privatize it which I think is not good for us, the user. There is a reason that UPS and the USPS have some sort of arangement with USPS being the end carrier in some rural locations for smaller packages. (UPS drops off at local P.O. and P.O. delivers to you) I've had a couple of small packages come that way.
Big difference between USPS and UPS is that USPS has more of what I would call "routes" and UPS has "areas". I can get close to setting a clock by my USPS guy. UPS has no reason to drive by if no deliveries in the "area" which makes sense but it's still a couple times a week.
Now FEDEX, I'm at the fringe of their "routes" I guess. I have waited as much as 3 days with a package being on the truck ( know by tracking it) but not getting it delivered. So they are last resort for shipping for me so much as I stopped using one online retailer because they use FEDEX for any thing of any size/weight.
So why the rant? Mostly because I feel the plight for those of us that don't live in a city or town of any size. If we lose the daily USPS presence, in the end it will hurt us all.
Sorry for being long winded and I don't want this to sound like anything political, it isn't meant to be. As long as I get my beer stuff in a timely fashion, I'll be a happy boozer, er.., brewer,,,!! :cask:
Cheers,
Joel B.
(EDIT) Crap I forgot to say how cool all those openers are !! :rock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back