Senior Marketing Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jota21

Reaction score
In response to the "Funny BMC & now Y people..." thread where Humann Brewing said that the only beer his FIL will drink is coors light/keystone light:

Background:
There is/was a local brewery in Pittsburgh called Pittsburgh Brewing Company. Their flagship beer is 'Iron City', and their light lager is 'I.C. Light' and in my opinion (while still in the same watery/flavorless category) better than BMCLight. The problem is that Pittsburgh people view Iron City as a very blue-collar beer, i assume from back in the days when Pittsburgh was the big steel town, and i guess back then, Iron City was the cheapest stuff around. Nowadays, it's about the same price, and my theory is that people dont want to be seen drinking an IC Light.

Project:
For my senior marketing project we were asked to identify a company in need of marketing help and put together a theoretical campaign that we thought would help them. Iron City came to mind because I have always been convinced that most people choose to like whichever beer their friends like, and the friends base their tastes on what the funny TV commercials tell them they should like.

Long story short, I actually got cooperation from PBC and among other methods of research (ie: boring surveys, etc...) was able to do blinde taste-tests. Everbody was poured two samples were told that one was Miller Light and one was IC Light. (Hint: They were both IC Light).

100% of the people involved (albeit a small sample size of 15 or so college kids) said that they preferred the taste of the one they believed to be Miller Light.

I know this is a half-assed college kid experiment and by no means a bullet proof study, however, I was please with the results in that I was able to say that taste really has no part in determining what college kids like to drink. Even poor college kids said that they would still be loyal to their BMCLights even if IC Light cost less...

Just goes to show the power of advertising, and the stubborness of loyalists.
:mug:

100% of the people involved (albeit a small sample size of 15 or so college kids) said that they preferred the taste of the one they believed to be Miller Light.

lol - that is hilarious. My two IC comments are as follows:

1. I love the aluminum bottles
  2. The only time I ever had IC Light was from a keg at a bachelor party.

I felt like a drinking superhero while drinking the IC Light because of how much of it I was able to drink - it was surreal... I impressed some yinzers that day - lol.

I used to buy IC light sophomore year because it was the same price and taste as natty, but different. IC bottles are cool and unique, too.

I really don't get how people can't be discerning tasting beer. I could identify Bud Light, Miller Light, and Coors Light 100% of the time in a blind taste test, it's so easy. Bud Light has a bit of a sour apple snap from some chemical, and tastes the best out of the three IMO. Miller tastes like bread and is disgusting. Coors tastes like watery beer with no good/bad flavor.

Where did all,the good beers go? long time passing...where did all the good beers go...long time ago? When will they ever learn? When will they eeeever learn? lolz. Oldy there,but it fits as a parody. I still remember when P.O.C. was called "pilsner",& another name I forget from the brewing company of the same name in Cleveland,OH. And Carling Black Label. Even Little Kings cream ale has dissapeared from the shelves.
It's interesting to see the cattle mentality in action with regard to what's said to be good & what really is.

Thats great. Congrats on getting behind the curtain. This is a great experience for you. It doesnt surprise me that they allowed you to use them. Hell you did free work for them!

Did the experiment/research change your mind or What causes someone to purchase one thing over an other?

Is this a BA or an MBA you are working on?

Jason

Back