(Semi urgent) Belgian Strong Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Ok, I got a gukden draak clone going. OG was fairly high for the recipe. I'm using WLP545. Right now my temp is set at 70f. I understand it's a good Idea to gradually bring up the temp a bit over a few days. Is that true ?

Started 4 days ago.
OG 1.117
Current 1.058

I'm really afraid of this stalling. It didn't start as aggressive as I'd like and has slowed way down (bubble every 4-5sec in airlock).

Any help us VERY appreciated.

I started my Belgian special at 62 and after I hit 75% of my target attenuation I let the temp rise up to 72 or so. I was using ECY09 Belgian Abbaye. For most Belgians letting things rise towards the end of fermentation is good for attenuation, but getting above the mid 70's and you may develop more phenolics and higher alcohols than you want.

I'd let it bump up a couple degrees though without concern, particularly if your closing in on FG.

Hopefully you were able to oxygenate the heck out of it pre-pitching. That will help prevent stalling later on, especially for big beers. It may take 3 weeks or more for a huge beer like yours to finish primary.

The fate of this stalling is dependent upon how much yeast you pitched. I am not a yeast fanatic but for 1.100+ I hope you used a S*** TON. If that were me I woulda brewed a nice 1.060ish beer first and then pitched all the yeast from it into this one. That said, you might luck out. IMO beers beyond 1.080+ are truly in a league of their own. Some ideas. First off, get the yeast suspended again by swirling regularly. Also raise the temp as you suggested. I ramp belgians up post krausen to 80F so my all means ramp it. If you didn't pitch much yeast and have a LHBS, grab more and pitch it. If all else fails and it stalls, pitch some bugs in it and forget about for a while.

Best of luck!

The fate of this stalling is dependent upon how much yeast you pitched. I am not a yeast fanatic but for 1.100+ I hope you used a S*** TON. If that were me I woulda brewed a nice 1.060ish beer first and then pitched all the yeast from it into this one. That said, you might luck out. IMO beers beyond 1.080+ are truly in a league of their own. Some ideas. First off, get the yeast suspended again by swirling regularly. Also raise the temp as you suggested. I ramp belgians up post krausen to 80F so my all means ramp it. If you didn't pitch much yeast and have a LHBS, grab more and pitch it. If all else fails and it stalls, pitch some bugs in it and forget about for a while.

Best of luck!

I expected it to be around 1.096.

How do I tell if it's stalled or done?

I don't have a heater in my fermentation chamber. Should I just turn off temp controls for now?

1.096 is still is B I G. Has the krausen fallen? That's the "mostly done" sign to me... It's stalled if gravity doesn't change over a few days. Yes, shut off temp controls and swirl/not shake a few times a day. I stick a small wattage light bulb in mine (and shield carboy from light) but it is t-stat controlled. You just need a little heat. It is still pretty early in the ferment so you might luck out but I trust your gut is telling you it might have stalled. I've never had any luck with "waiting a few weeks" for a ferment to start back up.

Gravity is dropping but it seems to have slowed alot. At 4 1/2 days in it only dropped from 1.059 to 1.055 in past 24 hours. I get paid in 4 days. If it's not below 1.04 or so I may go buy more yeast and re-pitch.

5 points in 24 hours is a good sign. You might be just fine. I think you have good chance with heat and swirling. If you pull off a successful 1.100+ ferment with a single vial you will indeed be a lucky SOB. :D I would probably keep this on the yeast for a good month to clean up afterward.

Seems fine. I would raise the temp up to make sure to get all you can out of the yeast. For a Belgian Strong it won't hurt to get it up to about 80 at the tail end of fermentation.

I have nothing to put in there so put a pan of boiling water in. Ambient is 82 so hopefully will bring beer up a bit.

Back