Selling "Homebrew"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
Wait!!! Stop!! Before you go there, let me start by saying that I know the laws. I've seen the hundreds of threads by someone who thought they found some kind of loophole, or are only selling on the down-low.
I'm not talking about any of that...

Let me start by saying this is only in the very infant stages of even being discussed with my partners. I plan on doing a lot more research and checking out probrewers etc. I'm only starting this here because I want to see some reactions, and I know that some have worked with something similar.

That being said...
My partner has several shops in a local historical park, and has the opportunity to open a few more. One of his ideas is to have a shop that brews and sells samples of "Homemade Beer". Now, I put that in parentheses because I plan on this being totally on the level as far as health permits, TTB etc. It will essentially be a nano-brewery, but it will be advertised (to an extent) as home-made. I totally understand that this may be difficult to get passed. Labeling will need to specify something as for Govt labels and all, but I think having the look and feel of an old-time frontier house, making it's own beer and ciders could pass as long as there is a legit brewery on-site.

I'm going to be talking to him again this weekend, so I just wanted to see what anyone here thinks of something like this. Also, the park is somewhat period specific, so I think it will most likely need to be a lot of older style recipes. Think CA Common and maybe some old ales. I hope to be able to add some cider and perry as well. Maybe even some wines (blackberry, strawberry, not grape) at some point.

Thoughts?

Let me just tell you.....there are a lot of people on this site who can't think outside the box. It sounds like you are on the right path to do this LEGALLY even if it is outside the box a bit...I don't know if you can label commercial beer as "homemade". Personally I love to hear about potential breweries like this!!:mug:

I like the idea. I think it's a good marketing spin. Homemade handcrafted in small batches, the way they used to do it. I can see that.

Don't get too cutesy with labels. Go with rustic or very simple.

Yeah cutesy tongue-in-cheek is definitely not my style, even if it did fit in the scenario which this does not.
Simple and classic, with a bit of rustic is the way to go. Thanks! :mug:

Let me just tell you.....there are a lot of people on this site who can't think outside the box. It sounds like you are on the right path to do this LEGALLY even if it is outside the box a bit...I don't know if you can label commercial beer as "homemade". Personally I love to hear about potential breweries like this!!:mug:

Yeah, I have my work cut-out for me if this goes forward. Legality within the state is one thing and making "commercially home-made beer" will be a challenge, not to mention the regulations of the park itself. Thanks for the encouragement! :mug:!

First thing I would do is check out the state regs to figure out the cost for license and compliance.
Next, find out what it costs to make the facilities meet state spec's for production of something to be consumed.

You will then be able to see what you would have to sell to make it cost effective.
Since you are using his established business as where the beer is sold, you have saved a bunch of cost so it may be doable.
Compliance costs and licensing are going to be the biggest factors in making it a go though.
I would think that there would be a good chance of success if you can pull it off though.

I see you are in California. There is another thread on here about a guy trying to start up a nano brewery. You might want to find it and PM him to get some insight since he's probably discovered the things you need to be aware of by now.

Good luck!

I didn't get the full story, but it's a state park. He was going to buy a couple shops. One was going to be a candy store, and one this homemade beer shop. They told him they want someone who will open a bakery, and that's all I heard.

He said he is going to put together a new business plan, but it seemed like they didn't even want to hear anything about a brewery.

It seems like one of the biggest hurdles facing new breweries is zoning restrictions/regulations. That is what has stopped my progress for the immediate future.

Back