"Selling" home-brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
I received a canning machine as a Christmas gift and was going to can a couple different beers. I know I can't outright sell to the public but are there ways to "sell" to friends? Memberships? Donations?

I know people who have a donation jar for their friends . Deal is if you want beer on tap pitch in for the ingredients. I'll make some for friends and family , they just pay for the stuff to make it.

The beer is free your selling the artwork on the can :)

The only way around it is "donations" as far as I know

I usually have 2 kegs full at a time . I share with whoever's over . I've never taken a dime . There is nothing wrong with having someone give you bottles and the money for the recipe ingredients and you brewing it. Then you bottle it up and give it to them. Your not making money off of that , so it's legal . Now if your selling your treading on thin ice . Technically your not supposed to even sell sodas without having a license . I've heard of A holes target kids about selling sodas , lemonade or baked goods.

Lesson 1 of doing anything in questionable legal grounds (which this is):

Don't broadcast your intention on a public forum on the internet.

Come to think of it, that's the only lesson.

Beep boop beep... ATF homebrew legal tracking bot activated! Sending suspect info... Success!

SWAT team deployed!

I doubt the ATF is going to let that slide. Homebrew can't legally be sold. "Sold" in the broad sense of any kind of compensation or bartering, regardless of the cute name someone may put on the payment (tips, memberships, donations, etc.) Government loves its money.

Of course, you can take my grandfather's stance: It's only illegal if you get caught.

The prospect of incurring the wrath of the ATF or my state's beverage control board would far outweigh any presumably small monetary reward for selling homebrew no matter how unlikely I am to be caught.

Yes, it's just not worth it . If you are set on selling and making a profit go about it the legal way . As beernutz said , the small amount of money youd make isnt worth it let alone enough to pay for a lawyer lol. Me personally am not into brewing to make money. I enjoy making it ,sharing and drinking it.

The prospect of incurring the wrath of the ATF or my state's beverage control board would far outweigh any presumably small monetary reward for selling homebrew no matter how unlikely I am to be caught.
On this point I get more altruistic. The small chance of getting caught and fined is less of a deterrent from me selling homebrew as much creating a negative perception of homebrewers to state ABC and legislators.

On this point I get more altruistic. The small chance of getting caught and fined is less of a deterrent from me selling homebrew as much creating a negative perception of homebrewers to state ABC and legislators.

Actually I like your thought process. I ride a Harley and I ride sportbikes . We ride the track occasionally on our sportbikes as well going through the canyon towards ojai and Ventura (hwy 33). I ride totally different on the track then the street. As for the numbnuts on streetbikes that wanna show off how fast their bikes are make us all look bad and people tend to look at all sportbike riders the same .

Another reason not to sell homebrew is that it’s against the law and obeying the rule of law in America, even if we don’t like it, is a foundation for civil liberty. Of course people go 5 over the speed limit and so forth, but obeying homebrew laws help keep the hobby legal. If the ATF does start enforcing laws that are commonly being broken, there would be a dialing back of liberties.

Back