Self-closing Perlick faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rth

Reaction score
Looking for some advice as to beer faucet recommendations.

I was given a Danby kegerator with what appears to be dual Perlick 525 polished chrome faucets (or a knock-off of that model), however these are self-closing. These faucets have the "flat spot" at the apex of the nozzle where the engraved "P" would normally go (but of course mine are blank), so I don't think they're Vent-Matic.

Since they are discontinued, I can't seem to find any original info on the Perlick 5xx models to determine if they were originally self-closing or if Danby ordered a "special self-closing" version of the 5xx for their kegerators.

These generic-525PC faucets developed the o-ring leak at the bonnet (confirming my assumption that they are Perlick 5xx faucets) and I have replaced the o-ring which fixes that problem, but now I'm exploring dispensing wine from the kegerator also (yes, I know it needs to be pushed with a different gas and all that jazz).

What I really want is a Perlick 6xx stainless steel self-closing faucet, but that may not exist as it appears none of the new Perlick 6xx faucets are self-closing.

Is that true?

Thanks for the help!

Just get these and never look back. The flow control takes all the guess work out of balancing long lines. Just use the 4 or 5 foot lines the tower came with and enjoy foam free pours hassle free. Youll not find a single bad review on them. http://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ahUKEwjL-PWbga7RAhVEeSYKHeIXBSYQvhcIKA&adurl=

This. I literally just got back from their Taylor location on my lunch break. Picked up 2 of these to replace my cheap Krome faucets. Not only are they great for balancing lines (though I personally didn't have that problem) they're great for growler filling. They have a compatible growler filler tube that inserts into them and the flow control makes filling one so much easier than anything else I've seen. I hate bottling but I love sharing my beer w/ friends and family, the combo gives you that from a keg and its super easy.

Is there a self-closing option for those? I have the 650SS too (great for simple balancing) but would like the self-closing option the OP asked for.

The springs made for the Intertap faucets to make them self closing will work with other non-flow control faucets and shanks. Next time you order from somewhere that sells Intertaps, buy a couple. They're like $2.

The springs made for the Intertap faucets to make them self closing will work with other non-flow control faucets and shanks. Next time you order from somewhere that sells Intertaps, buy a couple. They're like $2.

I have perlicks 425s, you try the springs on them?

Just get these and never look back. The flow control takes all the guess work out of balancing long lines. Just use the 4 or 5 foot lines the tower came with and enjoy foam free pours hassle free. Youll not find a single bad review on them. http://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ahUKEwjL-PWbga7RAhVEeSYKHeIXBSYQvhcIKA&adurl=

Lol! You haven't read much on hbt about these faucets, have you? "Bad review" would be mild. Sulphur smells are unacceptable.

OP: Check out the Intertap faucets. They're great. I use the flow control faucets, and love them. They can't be set for self closing, but not a big deal. I don't waste too much energy pushing a handle 3 inches.

Check on ali for them. Much cheaper than "beer" websites, and they're genuine.

:mug:

I have perlicks 425s, you try the springs on them?

I gave one of my springs to a friend to try on his perlicks, and it worked. He has since bought 6 of his own for all his faucets. I can't be certain which models he has, because he bought additional perlicks over the course of many years, but there is no reason they shouldn't work for the 425's. The rear most portion of the faucet is the shuttle, and that is what the spring pushes against.

I will warn you, when you get them, you'll swear they'll never fit between the shank and faucet, but they do. They're much larger than I expected. But they work damn well.

Lol! You haven't read much on hbt about these faucets, have you? "Bad review" would be mild. Sulphur smells are unacceptable.
Actually I've read up on them plenty.
There's one thread that's been around forever about the Sulphur smell. Its only on a certain lot # that I'm sure is long gone. Even then the same thread mentions how a simple soak corrects the problem. And then of course there is the 10,000 positive reviews.

There's one thread that's been around forever about the Sulphur smell. Its only on a certain lot # that I'm sure is long gone. Even then the same thread mentions how a simple soak corrects the problem. And then of course there is the 10,000 positive reviews.

Well, mark me down for a bad review. Soaking did nothing for mine, and were returned. I recommended the Intertaps, because after using both company's faucets, I feel they're superior to the Perlick's. I even run sours through one of mine with no issues or off flavors. They work flawlessly, and are cheaper than Perlicks. I bought my 4 for $80 plus $16 shipping on Ali. I couldn't buy 2 Perlicks for that price.

I used to be a die hard Perlick customer. :(

I have 2 Perlick 525SS and one 630SS, I have never had any odors from them that I can detect. I have done 0 maintenance other than pumping cleaner through them. I have had no problems with them whatsoever. Going on 4 years now. I would recommend them in an instant.

I bought them from the overwhelming good reviews.

I don't know if Intertaps were available when I bought. I didn't come across them in my searching.

There's one thread that's been around forever about the Sulphur smell. Its only on a certain lot # that I'm sure is long gone.[...]

That is not accurate, it affects numerous lots, perhaps all of them, as there is no evidence or info from Perlick that they ever changed the SS used or otherwise resolved the problem.

Some folks may just not notice an off taste...

Cheers!

That is not accurate, it affects numerous lots, perhaps all of them, as there is no evidence or info from Perlick that they ever changed the SS used or otherwise resolved the problem.

Some folks may just not notice an off taste...

Cheers!

I can say with mine, which would be 3 different lots, there is no off taste. They taste the same as beers that I bottle.

I've bought three years apart and have no issues. The Sulphur thing is blown WAAAY out of proportion. Mostly from people that have never owned them and hopped on the Perlick bashing train for no good reason and no first hand experience.

I thought most of the sulfur thing had to do with ciders.....?

I got two CMB faucets along with one 630SS for our three tap kegerator but one CMB might not be quite right (although I have not disassembled it to see.) I just got another 630SS because I love the flow control. Not saying that the others aren't worth checking out. No weirdness - I soak in oxyclean and flush with hot water, then Star san every time we tap a keg. Have not had any off flavors associated with the tap, but I have used the CMB faucets with the couple of kegs of cider so far.....

I thought most of the sulfur thing had to do with ciders.....?.
Good point.I forgot about that. Something to do with super low PH having an effect on the metal causing a Sulphur taste?.. It didn't happen on all lots and doesn't effect taps used for beer .

Reading through that entire link there are only a few people that actually had an issue.It was also stated its from low PH cider and beer. It was proven a simple soak permanently fixes the problem.
I could link the endless positive threads,Amazon reviews and vendor reviews with the hundreds of "best faucets ever" comments but that would be reduntant; I have no stock in Perlick and if there is another brand with flow control by all means have at it but the flow control is the key and a game changer in homebrew kegging.

Hi!
OP here....thanks so much for the input and info everyone!

The recommendation that I check out the springs for the Intertap faucets is EXACTLY the information I was looking for (and that I should check out Intertap faucets while I'm at it - I had never really considered them until now).

Thanks again everyone for the great information!

Hi!
OP here....thanks so much for the input and info everyone!

The recommendation that I check out the springs for the Intertap faucets is EXACTLY the information I was looking for (and that I should check out Intertap faucets while I'm at it - I had never really considered them until now).

Thanks again everyone for the great information!
I just purchased some used 525ss faucets. Did you ever try out the intertap springs with your 525 faucets? Did they fit and close the faucets?

fwiw, I've been running the Intertap springs in my six 525SS faucets with standard SS shanks for nearly a year.
Love 'em to death! Highly recommended...

Cheers!

That is a huge help, thanks. I just have the faucets and am planning the build. Ill be giving them a whirl.

I've always loved my Perls, they're first-gen 525ss and between them I've only had to replace a few O-rings after all these years.

But, I have a 6 tap t-tower mounted atop a chest freezer lid and when I have to raise the lid up to swap a keg or whatever it was a crap shoot if one of those faucets would decide it was the perfect time to open enough to rain beer from on high.

No bueno.

Since I installed the springs I don't even think about that anymore. As well, visitors don't have to be quite as attentive wrt closing the faucets.

It's such a simple yet effective modification I find it a bit hard to fathom how Perlick could have missed it. Especially after all the drama wrt their first forward seal campaigns...

Cheers!

brewpints.jpg

That's a sweet setup. I like the tap list too.

I was on the fence initially about buying perls and intertaps, and then found a good deal on the used ones. I figured out if I'll go with a tower or collar yet.

Back