Seeking help from double batch Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
Swmbo has given me the ok to take up the weekend brewing one batch on Saturday and one on Sunday. The thing is ide like to spend some time with her Sunday and make the most of Saturday. So with that said what are your tips at attempting a double batch brew day. I have two burners and only one kettle but I can get a second one I'm sure I'll need it. Also how much time does a double batch brew day add to your usual session.

Cheers and thanks

What size mash tun do you have? Something that I do sometimes is to make a double batch of wort, split it and boil in two kettles. Then hop each one differently for two different beers. As you mentioned, you just need to borrow a second kettle. I try to stagger the start time of the boils by 15-20 minutes to give me time to cool the first batch.

Or boil it all and use two different yeasts. Just did this with an APA. One American ale yeast, one a Belgian abbey yeast. Two totally different beers. No one guessed they were the same except for the yeast.

Ditch your mash tun, get a Corona style mill and set it real tight, the go BIAB. With the real fine crush you can cut your mash time. I do 30 minutes now.

Use a good malted barley that has little SMM and you can cut the boil time too. Again I'm at 30 minutes. Use a plate chiller and your wort will be at fermentation temp quickly. I'm missing that so I have to set my boil pot in ice cold water which adds time but I still can have a batch done in less than 3 hours. That leaves you with another 3 hours for the second batch and you are done in 6 hours. That leaves you another 10 hours to spend with the girlfriend/wife on Saturday and 16 more on Sunday. That much time with you should drive her crazy.

What size mash tun do you have? Something that I do sometimes is to make a double batch of wort, split it and boil in two kettles. Then hop each one differently for two different beers. As you mentioned, you just need to borrow a second kettle. I try to stagger the start time of the boils by 15-20 minutes to give me time to cool the first batch.

Or boil it all and use two different yeasts. Just did this with an APA. One American ale yeast, one a Belgian abbey yeast. Two totally different beers. No one guessed they were the same except for the yeast.

I've tried that method once with a 5 gallon batch split in half and hopped with two different hops it was pretty cool to get two beers out of one mash. The thing is these are going to be two entirely different beers one is going to be a double ipa that will be heavily hopped with close to 1 1/2 pounds of hops and the other will be v1 of the Abbey Weizen I'm brewing for the 12 beers of xmas.

Ditch your mash tun, get a Corona style mill and set it real tight, the go BIAB. With the real fine crush you can cut your mash time. I do 30 minutes now.

Use a good malted barley that has little SMM and you can cut the boil time too. Again I'm at 30 minutes. Use a plate chiller and your wort will be at fermentation temp quickly. I'm missing that so I have to set my boil pot in ice cold water which adds time but I still can have a batch done in less than 3 hours. That leaves you with another 3 hours for the second batch and you are done in 6 hours. That leaves you another 10 hours to spend with the girlfriend/wife on Saturday and 16 more on Sunday. That much time with you should drive her crazy.

Hahaha it takes much less time for me to drive her crazy;) I do have a cereal killer maybe I can tighten the crap out of that and see if I can try your method. Do you do an iodine test since you mash for such a short time? And does that time really allow all the sugars and flavor a to be pulled from the malt? Unfortunately a plate chiller is out of my budget right now:/

Instead of doing two batches in parallel, you can also do one batch immediately following the other with only one set of equipment. Once you runoff the first batch, start the second mash to happen during the boil of the first. It takes a bit of multitasking and some extra buckets, but with this method I only add 2-3 hours to a previously 6 hour brewday and get two unique, full batches out of it.

Hahaha it takes much less time for me to drive her crazy;) I do have a cereal killer maybe I can tighten the crap out of that and see if I can try your method. Do you do an iodine test since you mash for such a short time? And does that time really allow all the sugars and flavor a to be pulled from the malt? Unfortunately a plate chiller is out of my budget right now:/

I've used the iodine test to confirm conversion and with my very fine milling I get a negative for starch in less than 5 minutes. YMMV It takes much longer to extract flavor and although I have been successful with a 20 minute mash with good flavor extraction I do not recommend that to anyone else. You could extend the mash to 40 minutes and be more assured of conversion and extraction of flavors. That would give you an extra 10 minutes to drive SWAMBO crazy before you had to pull the bag out of the pot.

If you do an iodine test, make sure to get some of the grain particles to test too. With too large of particles you may still have some starch that hasn't gelatinized and will be locked up in the grain particles.

Use whatever you have for chilling the wort. Just be aware that it won't be as fast as a plate chiller. Heck, it might take an extra 5 to 10 minutes with an immersion chiller.:D

I do double batches regularly. I have 2 burners and I have a buddy bring his kettle. Still only 1 mash tun, chiller, and everything else. It takes me 5 hours to brew one 5g batch and a little under 7 to do the double.

I do double batches a lot. I have 3 tier system, with 3 burners.... so, you may have to decide if it is possible for you..... but, basically what I do is I start out just like normal. With 30 minutes left in boil #1, I start mash #2. So, as Boil #1 finishes and I chill it, I am just ready to sparge and drain Mash #2. If I am organized, I can get 2 full batches done, start to finish in 6 hours.

One thing is really important - organization. If you have your grain ready, water ready, stuff set up and ready to go... it makes a double brew day a lot easier.

Unless the brew day is what you enjoy most, there is no reason you should not easily be able to pull off a double brew in less than 4-5 hours if you plan and do your prep work accordingly. Since you already have a second pot and burner, you don’t need anything else. All I use is a 15 gallon brew kettle and a turkey frier pot. Not sure how big it is, maybe 7 gallons to the top?

I’ll start preparing for the brewday the night before. I’ll clean up and set up the garage Friday evening. Sometimes I’ll premeasure my water and label those in food-grade buckets. I’ll get all the things squared away in BrewSmith and set out my computer etc. Essentially I try to get everything done so that the only thing I have to do Saturday morning is pour in the water and fire up the burner. Having all the carboys cleaned and ready really goes a long ways.

I’ll start off with the first brew and get it going as normal. As soon as the grains are mashed in, I’m heating sparge water and getting that portion ready. After you start your boil for batch #1, go ahead and be heating your strike water up for batch #2. Depending on your mash times, I’ve found that if I mash for the following batch in about 30 minutes into the boil, the following batch will be just coming ready to vorlof.

Just keep in mind, this assumes you run into no problems with the boil, racking etc. You might shoot to mash in about 45 min into the boil to give yourself a bit of breathing room at the end. After I finish racking the kettle into the carboy, I’ll spray the pot out real fast and start vorlof. You can do it sooner in a bucket if you wish, but you’ll run the risk of task loading yourself if you don’t watch out. While the second batch is sparging, I’ll be flowing some O2 and pitching the yeast of the previous batch and using the downtimes to keep caught up on notes. Don’t forget to just chill out when you can, catch your breath and take a breather. Put some tunes on, watch TV etc. You’ll appreciate these lil moments later.

The only real thing I suggest is get a cpl clip boards and print off your brew notes from BrewSmith so that you can write on them as you do things. It helps me to keep these separated as I’ve already made the mistake of writing data down on the wrong sheets. Essentially, I’ll write in my actual temps and volumes compared to my target numbers. This will help when keying this information into your software and making adjustments to gravity or boil volumes.

I guess the only thing that I have found that will make your day go by smoother is try to get the prep work done the night before. Having those items off your back really makes the day go by smoother and seems to set the pace for a better day. I’ll say from bad experience when you start your day late with having to rack beer to free up carboy space, or pull and set up equipment, it just adds to the rush.

This past Saturday, I was able to brew three back to back batches with one of them being a 11 gallon batch. I started the brew day at 0600 and wrapped up the day at 7PM. This included washing everything, putting everything away, and moping the two car garage out. Try to keep things clean as you go. By the time you get ready to rack to the carboy, the only thing left to wash should be your brew kettle and your chiller. I’m sure there are others who can do this much faster, but I don’t yet have any pumps and have to utilize the KISS technique as much as possible.

I have a no thrill brewroom. Chances are, you have everything I have in this picture so there is no reason you can't easily pull off a double brew or more and still have plenty of time for your family.

i-4VSjbG5-L.jpg

Good luck buddy.

We do double 10 gallon in about 7 hours. Same as what everyone else said above...mash the second while u boil the first.

I do double, 10 gallon batches. have three burners, three keggles and two mash tuns. 6 hours from start to finish. Have your grain measured and ready. Get all your water going at once. You can sanitize, pre-heat, and clean up. I have anywhere from 30 to 40 gallons of water per brew day. Pre measure your hops, and set your target times for additions. I have one burner that's always faster. Document M1, M2, BK1, BK2 and track temps, times, additions etc.. I stagger my Mash's about 20 minutes.,, and am cleaning M1 ass soon as I sparge to BK1. It seems to be about 6 hours for me to do a 20 gal batch with 60 min mash and 60 min boil.

All hands on deck! Good luck!

Instead of doing two batches in parallel, you can also do one batch immediately following the other with only one set of equipment. Once you runoff the first batch, start the second mash to happen during the boil of the first. It takes a bit of multitasking and some extra buckets, but with this method I only add 2-3 hours to a previously 6 hour brewday and get two unique, full batches out of it.

This is what I do. Got everything out and sanitized anyway. Only adds 2_3 hours to get another 10 gallons of beer.

Personally, I'd just go back to back with the brews. I do it a couple of times a year and if you time it right, only adds 2 hours to the brew day. The key is to start the second mash with 30 minutes left in the boil of the first batch.

Also make sure you have everything prepped for both batches before you start. Usually works out that as soon as I add yeast to the first batch the second is ready for the boil. I've found this easier and less time than doing one batch Saturday and another on Sunday.

This is the method I use. I also have a friend help, who enjoys helping me brew beer as much as she enjoys drinking my beer. And you have to have everything organized and ready to go before you start.

I have two pots, a 10G and a 5G, so I re-order the recipies, or re-jigger the second recipe, so that the mash liquor and sparge liquor amounts are at or below 5G, since the 10G kettle will be busy with the first batch during the mash of the second batch.

Start heating up batch #2's strike water in the 5G kettle during batch #1's first runnings into the 10G pot, so it's at or above the correct temperature for mashing batch #2 by the time the mash tun has been emptied of wort and spent grains.

I do not rinse the mash tun out in between batch 1 and 2,

Start heating up batch #2's sparge water while chilling batch #1 so it's ready to go.

I do rinse the brew kettle out between batches, though, not wanting to contaminate batch 2 with hops from batch 1.

We usually start around 9AM, clean and put away equipment and supplies as we go, and don't drink anything alcoholic until batch #1 is in a carboy and batch #2 is boiling, so we're still quite sober when pitching yeast.

We're usually done by 4 or 5, depending on if we remember to heat up batch #2's water while we're working on batch #1.

It's a process she and I have employed for the last year or so; I cannot remember the last time I've done a single batch day, since the time to haul everything out and then clean and put it all away is done only once for two batches.

If you're the type that likes to sleep in, start late, drink while you're brewing, and wait until later to clean everything, do not bother attempting this.

Thank you all very much for all the awesome help and tips and tricks.

Turns out we are babysitting tomorrow so I'm just going to brew a batch today and one tomorrow. But I will come back to this thread and review all the help I was given when I do get around to doing a double batch brew day. Cheers!!!

Partigyle partigyle, partigyle. I have a 15 gal mash tun I mash my big beer for an hour, 8-9 gallons of water with about 20-25 lbs of grain drain it off, I get what I get as far as volumes and numbers, however I do take good notes for next time to make educated guesses as to how I can be consistent. Then I add about 6 gallons to the grains and get a nice session beer while I wait for my big RIS or Barleywine. Hope this helps It's a great way to kill 2 birds with one stone, you could always add say a pound of chocolate malt to the second runnings to make a dry irish stout, and a barleywine. So much fun exbeerimenting with partigyle. Cheers happy brewing

Partigyle partigyle, partigyle. I have a 15 gal mash tun I mash my big beer for an hour, 8-9 gallons of water with about 20-25 lbs of grain drain it off, I get what I get as far as volumes and numbers, however I do take good notes for next time to make educated guesses as to how I can be consistent. Then I add about 6 gallons to the grains and get a nice session beer while I wait for my big RIS or Barleywine. Hope this helps It's a great way to kill 2 birds with one stone, you could always add say a pound of chocolate malt to the second runnings to make a dry irish stout, and a barleywine. So much fun exbeerimenting with partigyle. Cheers happy brewing

I've always liked the idea of a partigyle but never had the space to have to beers under temp control. Now that I do I may have to give it a try next time I brew a big beer.

My drummer and his brew buddy have an old sabco 3 vessel single tier system. They get up early and brew four 10 gallon batches in one day. FOUR! I've been there to see it done. They just crank em out. Clean as they go, measure and weigh everything the night before. They also brew in a big barn where they can just hose everything out and make all the mess they want.

I do double batches pretty often. It's nice to get 20 gallons of beer and only set up and clean once. Sparging with cold water helps me avoid needing more kettles and lets me overlap steps. That's how I initially discovered that cold water works just as well as hot for batch or no sparge.

I do back-to-back batches normally. One great thing about it is though you brewed two batches, you only have to clean up once :)

If you're looking to brew and have a lot of time left in the day, just get started very yearly. I often have the first batch in the fermentor before anybody in my house is awake. Gotta mill and setup the night before, but it's worth it to be done and cleaned up by noon.

I did two 10g batches of vienna lager yesterday. Woot!

Double batched today. 18 pounds of Vienna for a "mocktoberfest" ale. Split the wort into two kettles. Steeped 6 oz each of C-60 and C-120 in .6 gallons of water to add to one kettle for an amber. Boiled the amber for 30 minutes with one oz Amarillo at 30, 15, and 5 minutes and two oz mosaic at FO. The mocktoberfest was a 60 minute boil with Tett and Hallertau mixed at 60 and 30 minutes. Was able to get both boils to start at the same time so I was able to chill the Amber and do some cleaning during the remaining 30 minutes of the other boil.

Also I mashed for only 30 minutes. But I had to double batch sparge due to the volume needed and I did them at the mash temp. This is a way that I "cheat" to reduce time. By the time the whole process is done, it's like a normal 60 minute mash.

So I woke up and got started with recipe formulation at 7:30. Was done, pitched yeast, cleaned up and notes finished by 1:40. So just over 6 hours for two batches. And I messed around and took almost an hour to do the recipe and mash calculations, so it could have been a little quicker. Still much more efficient than two separate brews.

Sounds great Erick let us know how it goes. My biggest tip is relax don't worry about og and volumes so much. If you have good brewing practices it will likely be great. Take good notes so you can replicate your awesome beers.

Last edited:
My drummer and his brew buddy have an old sabco 3 vessel single tier system. They get up early and brew four 10 gallon batches in one day. FOUR! I've been there to see it done. They just crank em out. Clean as they go, measure and weigh everything the night before. They also brew in a big barn where they can just hose everything out and make all the mess they want.

I do double batches pretty often. It's nice to get 20 gallons of beer and only set up and clean once. Sparging with cold water helps me avoid needing more kettles and lets me overlap steps. That's how I initially discovered that cold water works just as well as hot for batch or no sparge.

Wow now that's a brew day I can only hope one day I can start cranking out beer like that. I really should invest in a RO system.

I do back-to-back batches normally. One great thing about it is though you brewed two batches, you only have to clean up once :)

If you're looking to brew and have a lot of time left in the day, just get started very yearly. I often have the first batch in the fermentor before anybody in my house is awake. Gotta mill and setup the night before, but it's worth it to be done and cleaned up by noon.

I did two 10g batches of vienna lager yesterday. Woot!

That's my problem I always start too late. last night was the earliest I have ever pitched my yeast 930pm.

Double batched today. 18 pounds of Vienna for a "mocktoberfest" ale. Split the wort into two kettles. Steeped 6 oz each of C-60 and C-120 in .6 gallons of water to add to one kettle for an amber. Boiled the amber for 30 minutes with one oz Amarillo at 30, 15, and 5 minutes and two oz mosaic at FO. The mocktoberfest was a 60 minute boil with Tett and Hallertau mixed at 60 and 30 minutes. Was able to get both boils to start at the same time so I was able to chill the Amber and do some cleaning during the remaining 30 minutes of the other boil.

Also I mashed for only 30 minutes. But I had to double batch sparge due to the volume needed and I did them at the mash temp. This is a way that I "cheat" to reduce time. By the time the whole process is done, it's like a normal 60 minute mash.

So I woke up and got started with recipe formulation at 7:30. Was done, pitched yeast, cleaned up and notes finished by 1:40. So just over 6 hours for two batches. And I messed around and took almost an hour to do the recipe and mash calculations, so it could have been a little quicker. Still much more efficient than two separate brews.

That sounds like a really good method I still need to get me a second kettle and maybe a few more buckets to hold liquid to facilitate the brew day.

I've tried that method once with a 5 gallon batch split in half and hopped with two different hops it was pretty cool to get two beers out of one mash. The thing is these are going to be two entirely different beers one is going to be a double ipa that will be heavily hopped with close to 1 1/2 pounds of hops and the other will be v1 of the Abbey Weizen I'm brewing for the 12 beers of xmas.

This last post details what I do almost every brew day. I outline it in the link in my signature on pipeline diversity. Different boils with different hops, steeped specialty grains, different yeasts, and dilutions give you the possibility to make two completely different beers.

Back