sediment issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tizzomes

Reaction score
We'll I brewed an Irish Red a few weeks ago and it has been in the bottle carbonating for 10 days.I got a little impatient last might and opened one.It tasted a bit yeasty and under carbonated to early right...????

I'm no expert, but I'd say yes...too early. I did the same thing with an English pale ale and had the same results. Give it another couple of weeks. It'll be delicious!

Also the sediment was swirling around rather then compacted on the bottom.Is that a sign it's not done to??

Sediment swirling in the bottle can be fixed by one thing: putting the beer in the fridge and letting it sit for 2 days minimum. Depending on how flocculant your yeast are, 2 days might form a tight ring, or it might still leave some in suspension. Cold storage is the only way to really compact it down though.

Bottle carbonation should be minimum 14 days, and most are better 21 or so plus the fridge days.

I'm kinda confused about why your title talks about having a "sediment issue" but you talk about your beer not being carbed?

But yeah you openned it too soon. The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Actually bottled then put them in my garage for a few days.I noticed they were getting cold so I moved them to another spot.Could that have slowed things down.?...
Do they still have a chance??!!

They will be fine...relax...if they got colder the yeast went to sleep and when you put them back in the warmth they will wake up and get back to work..Just don't add the time in the cold as part of the three weeks we are refferring to.

With sediment swirling around,I was wondering if it reached FG before bottling? I let'em reach FG,then sit in primary a bit longer to settle out more. Just to a light haze before dry hopping or bottling. Then,as revvy says,bottle 3 weeks for average gravity beer,then 5 days in the fridge. That'll compact what little is left in the bottles on the bottom. Not to mention,it does seem to take that long to get rid of the resultant chill haze they get as soon as they cool down.

I'm inpatient so I take the last 6 bottles out of the bottling bucket and set those aside. They sometimes have more sediment and stuff from the bottom of the bottling bucket anyways so I don't like to hand those bottles out. I'll open one after 5_7 days then try one every 3-5 days after that.

I do this because I'm impatient, I like to see how the flavors progress over time, and by the time that sized is gone, the rest of my bottles are usually ready!

I'm weird.

It did reach FG 2 weeks in primary I guess I need to walk away for a week or so...

here's what i used to do:
brew, check on the baby every single minute i possible could; I wouldnt let it grow up, if you will. At bottling, I would try some. 1 week, try some. 2 weeks, try some. etc. It was exhausting. I was like a first time parent that would worry more than needed.

Here's what I do now:
Brew. Smile at knowing beer is brewing in my living room while at work. Wait the whole primary time out. Grav read 2 days in a row when it should be close to being done in primary. Bottle. Store. Wait no less than 3 weeks, try one. If its good, its good. If not, wait another 3 weeks. (all the while, i am brewing other beers so i dont have to wait so freaking long before i get to try my all-grown-up-"child")

Moral of the story:
RDWHAHB

Originally I thought this would be a 3 week cycle (homebrewing) you brew then ferment for a week, bottle for 2 done.I probably drank a few batches way to early I'll give this one another week

Originally I thought this would be a 3 week cycle (homebrewing) you brew then ferment for a week, bottle for 2 done.I probably drank a few batches way to early I'll give this one another week

Brew up another batch! That will (sorta) take your mind off this one. But the real key is once this upcoming batch is ready to be bottled, you are still drinking from your previous batch!

That's what we like to call a pipeline! I am working on mine right now (have 25 gallons in primary, and 15 gallons conditioning in keg).

I did, Deception cream stout in primary next Saturday will be week 3.I got the recipe from the stout section on this site.

My "lightest" beers are about 8 weeks from grain to glass. This isn't making koolaid. Most beers benefit from time, and patience.

My "lightest" beers are about 8 weeks from grain to glass. This isn't making koolaid. Most beers benefit from time, and patience.

Same here. You need to get more containers and get the "pipeline started". I am small time compared to some of the guys on here. I have 4 cornie kegs and 4 fermentor buckets. Eight beers in the pipeline = at least 8 weeks grain to glass. (longer, really)

Thanks again guys I think I'm rushing this thing, slowing learning patience.Going to cry now into a beer I didn't make...

Back