Sediment after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliotLion

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a question that I am having trouble finding an answer to.

I am an all-extract newb and have completed about six brews. One thing I notice is the abundance of sediment after my boil, before I dump into the primary. How much is normal, and what should it look like? I have a paranoid suspicion that the majority of my sediment is actually undissolved malt extract due to its color.

Any help is appreciated, and I will do my best to clarify anything that needs clarifying. Thanks in advance!

It is most likely the cold break. It will consist of hop debris, proteins that have settled out, fining agents added to the boil. I usually wind up with about an inch in the bottom of my 7.5gallon pot.

It could be extract if you are not stirring it in enough. If it was extract though I would think you'd find it stuck on the bottom of the pot when you cleaned out the pot after boiling and transferring.

Back