Secret Santa Sour Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that sounds like a plan Abby, plus trading for more would be cool too Mike lol

I ordered 2 last time. The max is 4, so after the holidays I plan on getting more Sang Noir. And Apricot. I'll text you what I can spare lol.

Good news folks. Cascade Sang Noir is flippin' delicious. Wow, the first taste hit me in the gills, but every taste after got better and better.

Also, the Breakside IPA is amazing. A really really good IPA. Wow, loving this. Thanks again Brewbien. You knocked it out of the park.

Well the Sang Noir is CRAZY. Great beer. I could drink this all day every day. Super duper

Abby, drinking you face melt homebrew as I type this. Nicely done! That is mouth puckeringly sour though! Thanks again.

My guy missed out on my apricot pLambic by about a month (I shipped pretty early). I just bottled it Sunday and man it is as good or not better than any apricot sour I have tried to date (which isn't many). I took the hydro sample to my weekly football/bottle share last Sunday, and we tasted it after it warmed up and nobody could find any flaws, including a national level BJCP judge.

Maybe I'll throw one in for next years swap.

So glad everything made it safe and sound!!! I was so so lucky to get that love child!! Had my liqour guy sell it to me out of his private stash. Thought someone else would enjoy it more. I know we share distribution but was sure you didn't have that one. Enjoy!! And im glad I didn't have to worry about it freezing on your porch in Cali! Phew! Tis the season ;)

Cracked the Love Child today with some friends. So so good - easily one of the best sours I've had in while . Thanks again

No problem.man!! I agree with you on that one. So glad you enjoyed it. Can't wait for its release to come back around!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

A bit off topic here, but... when the NEXT swap happens, I will be ready...

For starters, I discovered that Jolly Pumpkin and Artesian Ales just started to distro to my county. In addition, there is a new beer-centric bar that recently opened near me which does sell "to-go" bottles. One of managers is a sour fan it seems, and is excited to get in some new sours (right now limited). He is hoping to build the market I suppose. I told him I was all in. He is even thinking about putting one on tap! I didn't even know they had sour beers on tap! He has some Brett stuff on tap already (Petrus Winter #9).

Anyway, This combined with a connection for scoring a few bottles from Atlanta from time to time via a work connection, means that my sour pipeline should be good. The Goose Island "sisters" series I can get too, and there are a few I've heard that are nicely sour. I am going to try and slowly stock up on these sours and other local Brett beers in anticipation of the next swap.

I know I asked about storage already, and I have some bottle stored horizontal. On one bottle it says to store upright (Boulevard Tank #7) Why?

TD

I know I asked about storage already, and I have some bottle stored horizontal. On one bottle it says to store upright (Boulevard Tank #7) Why?

TD

Someone with more knowledge cellaring sours can give a better answer, but I think the main reason is so the yeast and whatever else may be in the bottle settles out on the bottom so when you pour, you get clear beer. I don't think storing on the side for long period would cause a problem as long as you move upright a few days to a week before you intend to drink the bottle.

TD

I might be wrong but I think it has to do with oxidizing behind the cap faster whereas with a Cork you want to keep it horizontal to keep it wet and to ensure that it holds a proper seal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

I might be wrong but I think it has to do with oxidizing behind the cap faster whereas with a Cork you want to keep it horizontal to keep it wet and to ensure that it holds a proper seal.

I think the jury is still out on it overall, but i store all beer upright whether corked or capped. Drying corks is rarely a concern anymore, and even less so on the typical cellaring timeline for beer.

I might be interested in doing another one now that I am back in the country. Anyone else into it?

I'm in the same boat as Indy - got way too much going out this month, wallet needs a breather before taking more on.

I'm out unless I get paired with a dude that lives next to the Commons or has a case of batch 6 Beats, or has unlimited blend 2 Atrials.

But seriously, I'm maxed out right now from other trades. I spent over 400 bucks in Januaray on shipping alone. Not to mention all the beer. But I have scored some great stuff. So it was all worth it.

The downside of this format is you get stiffed if your Santa lives in a place with crappy offerings. The upside is your Santa lives next to the Commons.

We got a WOB that sells package style and manager tells me jolly pumpkin and I think one other additional brewery that does sours, has JUST started to distro here. He is a sour fan, so that is a plus. Might be best to do in March for me too though.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Alright guys, keep an eye out for a new sour swap starting soon. It'll be pretty open-ended not super local specific to be more inclusive. Tell you friends, spread the word, etc. I'll post a link in here when its ready to go.

Back