Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckelly999

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an ESB in the primary for 10 days which is now ready to rack to the secondary; I also have a keggerator that I have converted to dispense 2 corny kegs.

Do I really need to rack to the secondary prior to kegging, or can I just keg it and put in under pressure for a few days? My feeling is, any yeast that settle to the bottom after a few days will be easily removed with a quick pull on the faucet, leaving the beer cold, carbonated, and ready to drink in time for the games this Sunday.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

CK

most people including me will recommend letting it sit in primary for a few days longer at least, then just cold crash and add to the keg. more and more people are getting on the train that secondary isn't needed... because it isn't.

Secondary is definitely not necessary. At 10 days it may a little green yet. If it were me I would let it ride in there another day or two then burst carb it. It should be ready to drink by Sunday.

I only worry about secondary on lagers. I wait 3 weeks and then coldcrash and keg - it's long enough to all but guarantee complete fermentation and easier on my schedule (only have time for brew tasks on weekends).

+1 on not bothering with the secondary. There's no legitimate reason to use one for an ESB.

Back