secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william2010

Reaction score
Would it be good to do a third carboy? So secodary and then a week later transfer and filter to another carboy?

And why would you want to do that? Unless you're adding something else to the beer, like pounds of fruit, I'd say it's not worth it.

I read that it would make for a clearer beer. Because you xlnt want your beer sitting on the sediment on the bottom. What's it called?

tertiary fermenter? I don't see why. Do your finings in the secondary or the keg.

If your racking technique is at all good, you won't have all that much sediment in the secondary fermenter. The warnings about getting off flavors from sediment have to do with the dead yeast decomposing at relatively high temperatures for fermentation (as you'd find with some belgian brews, etc). These warnings are about a whole inch-deep yeast cake, not just a thin film.

If you do have a lot of sediment in your secondary fermenter, either you racked too soon or you need more racking practice.

Does it hurt it. Because I did a crappy job when I racked to secondary and there was a good amount of **** in the bottom does that mean it will taste bad?

If it tastes bad, it won't be because of sediment. Give it the time it needs, then rack to the bottling bucket. You'll be fine.

Remember, you're going to have another round of racking from the secondary vessel to the bottling bucket or keg. Also, any small amount of sediment that may wind up in your bottles or keg will settle to the bottom with time and a decrease in temperature in your fridge. Additional racking is only going to increase your risk of introducing oxygen to your beer. You're not going to see any benefits that outweigh that risk. Unless you're dry-hopping, introducing an additive such as fruit or wood chips, or bulk aging, there's really no need to rack to a secondary vessel.

How long did you let it sit in the primary vessel? You could end up with a lot of trub in the secondary if you racked too soon and didn't give it enough time in the primary. Also, I would argue that most of your beers don't even need a secondary (and can't think of a reason for a tertiary). Just let it sit in primary for a few weeks and then rack to the bottling bucket for bottling (or to the keg if kegging). Using a secondary unnecessarily just risks oxidation and infection.

In the latest episode of 'Basic Brewing Radio' they actually tested the benefits of even just doing a secondary at all. He found that the secondary began to clear a lot faster, but actually by the time the beer was served to 'blind' tasters after conditioning and clearing they were both equally clear. The tasters could barely detect any difference in taste either and for one actually preferred the primary only.
Have a listen and it might put you off racking to secondary at all, let alone racking to tertiary!

Latest posts

Back