Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reedequine

Reaction score
What am I supposed to see going on in my secondary? I have a saison kit from Williams that I racked over 2 days ago. SG was right on, tasted great out of primary, but nothing is really happening. so the ? is, just be patient and let it condition for a few weeks or should I be concerned because i don't see any further fermentation taking place?

Secondary fermentation is not for fermentation. It is for clearing and maturation.
The majority of fermentation should be completed in the primary.

Just to continue on your answer for the secondary. You said that the Secondary is for cleaning and ageing of the beer. so since it the rule is about 2 weeks I am led to believe to place in the secondary. If I let it sit to "Mature" for about a month or so. What effect would that have on the beer?

Not to hijack a thread but to shed some light on the subject of the secondary

thanks in advance.

A month is probably okay, but the yeast in suspension in the secondary will eventually flocculate, and those yeast are needed to carbonate in the bottle, if you don't keg.

Back