Secondary w/o airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cease

Reaction score
Do you guys see any problems with covering a secondary fermenter with some sanitized foil and no airlock?

I have a small 5 CU freezer as a ferm chamber and can hold a 6 gal carboy and a 5 gal but the 5 gal sits on a step so an airlock won't fit. I figured it should be ok since fermentation has already happened and little to no co2 should be released. I know that temp control isn't that important after fermentation but I've had a secondary dry hopping hit 85* in a closet at home. I also like the idea of having two brews going instead of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Id do the balloon or rubber glove technique. With the tin foil if it does create a little bit of pressure , it will create an opening down the side of the foil, allowing air back in potentially. The balloon or glove will simply just inflate a little bit!

Yes, I think it will be a problem, but do what you think.
The release of CO2 and having an airlock keeps oxygen out. Without a good seal, you'll get some oxidization. If there's no CO2 coming off of it, you could always get a solid bung.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, I think that would work fine. Make sure to extend the foil down a few inches to get a better "bug" and "gas" seal.

A word of caution though:
I've discovered that Starsan eats small pin holes into aluminum foil, like within 1-2 days. The lighter duty stuff goes much quicker, and many many more holes than when using Heavy Duty foil. Use a double or triple H-D layer for all security.

EDIT:
Do not use a solid bung it can't release negative pressure, and will blow off on positive.

Add a rubber band around the foil for a better seal.

Did the secondary hit 85° in the closet because of ambient temperature or was fermentation still happening? I would not use the closet if ambient is 85°. Move the secondary into your living space if it is cooler.

Secondary hit 85* due to ambient. That was an extreme case when it got hot, normally secondaries stay at around 75* in the house. I always make sure to hit FG before racking and only secondary to dry hop or use adjuncts.

Regarding the concern of oxidization; I've read recommendations for people to use foil while cold crashing to avoid starsan suck back. Has anyone who uses foil to cold crash had issues with oxidization? Infections or sanitation issues?

Many of us normally don't use secondaries, 'cause in most cases they aren't needed, and can create more problems (e.g., infection, oxidation). We just cold crash the primary, with or without gelatin.

Why do you use secondaries?

Many of us normally don't use secondaries, 'cause in most cases they aren't needed, and can create more problems (e.g., infection, oxidation). We just cold crash the primary, with or without gelatin.

Why do you use secondaries?

I use a secondary only to dry hop and when I use adjuncts like fruit, oak, vanilla beans, coffee etc etc. I like to reuse yeast so dry hopping in primary would create more trub to wash.

EDIT:
Do not use a solid bung it can't release negative pressure, and will blow off on positive.

It may or may not. I've used a solid bung while bulk aging and have not had issues. True, it can't release pressure, but if it's done, you shouldn't get a significant amount. It'll push the bung out if there's too much off gassing, but I doubt it'll blow off like a primary.

I use a secondary only to dry hop and when I use adjuncts like fruit, oak, vanilla beans, coffee etc etc. I like to reuse yeast so dry hopping in primary would create more trub to wash.

That's a legit use for secondaries. :D

It may or may not. I've used a solid bung while bulk aging and have not had issues. True, it can't release pressure, but if it's done, you shouldn't get a significant amount. It'll push the bung out if there's too much off gassing, but I doubt it'll blow off like a primary.

I cold crashed a glass carboy with a solid bung and had a hard time getting it out, it was sucked in all the way to the rim. It finally came out with a loud bang. I don't think that carboy would have imploded, old school Mexico, but with the modern crappy Chinese ones I wouldn't be so sure.

Do you guys see any problems with covering a secondary fermenter with some sanitized foil and no airlock?

I have a small 5 CU freezer as a ferm chamber and can hold a 6 gal carboy and a 5 gal but the 5 gal sits on a step so an airlock won't fit. I figured it should be ok since fermentation has already happened and little to no co2 should be released. I know that temp control isn't that important after fermentation but I've had a secondary dry hopping hit 85* in a closet at home. I also like the idea of having two brews going instead of one.

Williams Brewing sells a silicone bung with a flap that vents gases. I use them frequently w/ beers in secondary.

I cold crashed a glass carboy with a solid bung and had a hard time getting it out, it was sucked in all the way to the rim. It finally came out with a loud bang. I don't think that carboy would have imploded, old school Mexico, but with the modern crappy Chinese ones I wouldn't be so sure.

That's a good point. My 3 glass ones are from Italy; I've heard very bad things about the Chinese ones having super thin walls...like light bulb thin.
I also use the universal bung rather than the solid bung.

Back