Secondary vessel options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorJerry

Reaction score
Alright, so I've read that we aren't supposed to secondary in our white plastic buckets. So, I'm curious what everyone recommends? I've seen some negatives about the big mouth bubbler, so I'm not sure I want to go that way.

We are moving to BIAB in a 10 gallon pot, making 5 gallon batches. Our next two beers are going to be an Oktoberfest and a coffee stout (a bit ambitious for us, but hell, go big, right?). Both, from what I've read, would require a secondary, so I need to get one on order.

Or, can we just secondary in a keg? Move it from the fermenter to the keg, purge it, make sure it isn't leaking, and then keep the keg in the basement to age a bit?

Use a keg...Carb while it ages/conditions/lagers. It takes one less transfer out of the equation for infection or oxidation.

How long can one safely keep a beer in the fermenting bucket, even if we are adding cold brew coffee or coffee beans for the coffee stout? I'm not sure I want to put that in the keg, or can put that in the keg. Assuming it takes 10-14 days to ferment out, throw in coffee beans for a week or so, then transfer to the keg? If we just use cold brew coffee, we can just add that to the keg when we add the beer...

Alright, so I've read that we aren't supposed to secondary in our white plastic buckets. So, I'm curious what everyone recommends? [...]

I recommend no secondary at all, unless you're racking onto fruit or something similar that you don't want to disappear under the trub. The old CW "to clear the beer quicker" is a total myth at best and counterproductive at worst, and the incidental risk of oxidation and infection makes the whole exercise bankrupt.

In that regard the Oktoberfest doesn't need any secondary, while the coffee stout would only need it if you're using whole beans...

Cheers!

I've heard people dry hop in a keg by using a hop sock and some dental floss. The lid of the keg will keep the bag in place (string is pulled through the side of the lid). Then you pull the string to raise the bag when complete and it will take the bag out of the beer. No need to open and remove from keg. I have not tried that but it might be an idea to consider.

You can just add whatever to the primary as most do and then transfer when ready. Some people recommend keeping the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks.

Latest posts

Back