Secondary Scottish 90/- with oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I just racked a Scottish 90 shilling O.G 1.062 to a secondary to infuse with Scotch barrel wood chips. Primary was 3 weeks at 64°, F.G 1.016 . Do I secondary at room temperature or continue at low to mid 60's? . I know that after bottling it has to be cold conditioned for a couple months, but not sure about secondary temp. Thanks!

Imagine you're in a Scottish brewery. What you think of as room temperature represents the height of summer....

No - it's a pretty good rule that for pretty much everything to do with British beer, if in doubt do it at cellar temperature (~55F)

Yeah I was thinking along that line. I took it down to my basement (mid 60's) to infuse with Scotch barrel chips in secondary for a week (2.5 gal batch, 1oz chips so a week should be enough ) then I will let warm up during bottle carbonation, then cold storage at 40° for 90 days.Thanks for your reply!

Thanks again! 2 weeks into cold conditioning after 3 weeks cold fermentation and it's already tasting good. Can't wait till 60 days in to Crack another "Taster"

Imagine you're in a Scottish brewery. What you think of as room temperature represents the height of summer....

No - it's a pretty good rule that for pretty much everything to do with British beer, if in doubt do it at cellar temperature (~55F)
5 months cold conditioning/cold storage at 38-42° it turned out to be a pretty darn good Scottish ale. Thanks for your advise

I’d like to try something like this sometime and wondered where you got the Scotch barrel wood chips?

I’d like to try something like this sometime and wondered where you got the Scotch barrel wood chips?
I found them at Menard's. They sell them in the BBQ section as smoking chips. It's about a pound of chips, price wasn't bad. Just Google Scotch barrel wood chips Menard's. Hope this helps

What I did was soak 1oz of the Scotch barrel wood chips for 72 hours submerged in a heavy duty plastic baggie full of Chivas Regal Scotch whiskey. Then I put the chips in a large SS ball infuser and let it soak in fermenter for 5-7 days. It had plenty of Scotch/oak flavor at that point for me. I did not use the tincture that resulted from the wood chips/Chivas Regal soak as it had a harsh tannin taste to me. I did add 1 ounce Chivas Regal to 5 gallons fermenter right before I transferred to bottling bucket. I did cold condition mine for 5 months..most brewing material recommends at minimum a 2 month cold conditioning after carbonation in bottles. Or I guess you could just let it cold condition in a secondary for 2 months..to each his own! Cheers !

Thank you for all the info. I took a look and found those chips online, not a bad price at all. The large SS ball infuser is a great idea. I have another brew on deck already, but may try this one after that.

Glad I could help! For my Scottish I ordered a Spiced Winter ale kit from Northern Brewer. I think it came with 9 pounds of Golden Promise, 1 pound of English crystal and an Oz of mulling spices. I saved the spices for a Winter ale I brewed 2 weeks ago. I added a couple more pounds of grist, 4 Ibs Maris otter, 1 Ibs caramel crystal 80L, 1 Ibs 20L, 1.5 Ibs victory malt, 1 Ibs melanoiden, 1/4 Ibs dextrine. I used 1/2 oz East Kent goldings 60 min and 1/2 oz last 10 min. I also did a 1 gallon decoction..just take first 2.5-3.5 quarts of wort, boil it for 60-70 min to reduce it down and caramelize it, add it back to main boil at start of 60 roiling boil. I only got 1.060 O.G so some how I missed hitting my target of 1.065-1.070..but then again, 90/- shilling is usually between 5.5 and 6% so that's what I ended up with even though originally I was trying to make a Scotch barrel wee heavy. But turned out ok.

Sounds like a good recipe, thank you! I made a Scottish ale once before and tried the boiling down decoction but it didn't work out like I hoped. It was only a 2G batch so the amount I pulled aside to boil down was small and it reduced very quickly. I added some water a couple times to extend the boiling of it, but wondered if doing that diluted the flavor since I couldn't really taste it in the beer. Was thinking next time I would keep the heat low and consider it done once it's reduced, even if done in a short time. Or, increase the quantity to boil down to start with. Plus I didn't try to add flavor with wood chips, so I'm anxious to try that too.

Just go easy on the wood chips, it can get over powering real fast. About 1 oz chips per 5 gallons, 1/2 oz for 2.5 gallons. Sometimes I do smaller 2.5 gallons batches. For a 2 gallon batch, I'd add enough grist for a 3.75 gallon batch. You can boil down 1 gallon to about 1/2 gallon, and you are gonna lose about a gallon during the boil and some during fermentation roughly bringing you down to 2 gallons. Just my humble 2 cents. Let me know how it's turns out when you do it. Cheer

No, unfortunately, but still in the queue. I'm not able to brew January-April due to my work schedule so I'm looking forward to being back on line soon. Glad to hear yours turned out well. :mug:

Back