Secondary regulator pressure difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemanach

Reaction score
I would like to get a secondary regulator for bitters and such. Is there a minimum pressure difference required between the secondary and primary regulator? I'm not going to do something this small of a difference but can I have primary set for 12 psi and secondary for 11 psi?

You are correct. I set my primary regulator 2 psi more then the highest psi setting on my secondary one. So if I have 3 beers on tap and their psi is 12 , 10 and 30 I set my main regulator to 32 . Of course at 30 psi I'm force carbing .

Yes, there is a minimum differential pressure requirement for secondary regulators. For Taprite it's specified as 5 psi.
I doubt 1 psi will work. One might get away with a bit lower than the limit if necessary but at some point the actual regulation will be suspect.

Cheers!

I’ve got my primary currently sitting at 15psi and my secondary is at 12psi, serving off of both. Micromatic premium series.

Eventually I want to serve all off secondaries and just leave my primary permanently set at 40psi to feed the secondaries and for burst carbing.

It’s easier to dial in the secondaries with a higher input from your primary.

You are correct. I set my primary regulator 2 psi more then the highest psi setting on my secondary one. So if I have 3 beers on tap and their psi is 12 , 10 and 30 I set my main regulator to 32 . Of course at 30 psi I'm force carbing .

What model of regulator do you have?

If you have a regulator with 2 separate gauges (rather than a separate secondary regulator), does it matter which one is set higher? I just bought one this week and the first gauge is 8-10 psi while the second is 15 psi and now I'm wondering if I need to reverse them

If you have a regulator with 2 separate gauges (rather than a separate secondary regulator), does it matter which one is set higher? I just bought one this week and the first gauge is 8-10 psi while the second is 15 psi and now I'm wondering if I need to reverse them
Sounds like you've got a dual pressure primary, in which case it doesn't matter. Both are getting the full pressure from the tank.

Back