Secondary/ little or no activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah

Reaction score
Um... I got nothing. last night I racked a Pumpkin-Cream Ale into my secondary fermenter. this morning the solution in the airlock hasn't even moved (you know the way it usually pushes all the liquid to one side) but it looks like there is some foam? or trub forming. Other than its me thats brewing this what is or went wrong? do i just need time. Im using wyeast northwestern ale and current temp is in the mid 70's. :confused:

thank you all!

Did you take a gravity reading when you racked to secondary? Whats was your OG? I rarely have much activity in the secondary if a bither with one at all.

You don't really want or need airlock bubbling in your secondary. The purpose of a secondary is to clear your beer. It should already be finished fermenting BEFORE you rack it into a secondary.

If it does bubble a lot, then more than likely you racked too soon. If it's bubbling a little it's off gassing co2 kicked off during the rack, but it all doesn't really matter what "activity" happens in a secondary, except yeast and proteins falling out of suspension.

+1000 to Revvy

You shouldn't have activity in the secondary (if you even use one). What was your gravity reading when you racked?

my fiance cleaned and cleaned up my notebook ill let ya know what the gravity reading when i find it. thanks

Back