Secondary in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barcochris

Reaction score
I am little confused on this process. I understand that it is racked into the keg for the secondary but do you use an airlock? How is this done? and do you re-rack it into a fresh keg when finished? I am using Sanke Kegs and not sure if this is possible.. just trying to get all the info I can before trying it.

I'll usually throw it in the keg, with the lid open, I'll push through some co2 to get the oxygen out, then lock it up and give it another blast of co2 for good measure. Not enough to carb it, but just a little something.

A keg can be considered a secondary. You don't need an airlock. Just make sure fermentation is done before kegging it. When you're ready to drink it you can either run off a pint or two to clear it or transfer it to another keg using a line between both LIQUID/OUT posts. Some folks have shortened the OUT dip tube of the secondary so it sits above the yeast and minimal yeast is transferred when it's moved to another keg. Or you could just siphon it over. Cheers!!!!

Back