Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenm2

Reaction score
Hi, i made red grape wine for the first time and at this stage my wine is in the secondary fermentation process and is closed with an airlock. I have two 25 litre demijons they started the secondary fermentation at the same time but one of the demijons stopped bubbling about a week ago so i racked the wine from that demijon to take it off the sediment and when checked with the hydrometer it seems that the fermentation is done I also added a dose of campden tablets. My problem is that the other demijohn is still bubbling although very slowly. Is this normal that the same wine doesnt finish the fermentation at the same time??

Hi, i made red grape wine for the first time and at this stage my wine is in the secondary fermentation process and is closed with an airlock. I have two 25 litre demijons they started the secondary fermentation at the same time but one of the demijons stopped bubbling about a week ago so i racked the wine from that demijon to take it off the sediment and when checked with the hydrometer it seems that the fermentation is done I also added a dose of campden tablets. My problem is that the other demijohn is still bubbling although very slowly. Is this normal that the same wine doesnt finish the fermentation at the same time??

It can happen. Im not sure how to describe it, but when you rack, think of it as zones , botton sediment and the different degress suspension, what I mean is that if you took a sample of the top most layer it is the clearest vs the layer just above the sediment. So when you rack to different containers some may have more yeast than other nutrients than the other level. I made a seven gallon batch of mead and transfereed to two one gallon container, no activity, the remainder i transferred to a five gallon container and it was still bubbling.

H My problem is that the other demijohn is still bubbling although very slowly. Is this normal that the same wine doesnt finish the fermentation at the same time??
How long has it been since you started the fermentation?
There's no need to be in a rush, red wine usually has to age for 12 months or more, so don't worry about it.

My wine has been fermenting for a month in the secondary fermenter plus another 3 days in the primary fermenter. One carboy stopped bubbling and the other is still going. I was just worried that its not normal that the same wine doesnt ferment together.

Back