Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yonkerj3

Reaction score
I recently purchased the beginner package from Midwest. It came with a primary fermentation pail and a bottling pail.

I am about to start a red ale up and I am wondering about the benefits of secondary. I guess what my real question is is can I just use another Ale Pail for secondary or do I have to get a carboy?

I wouldn't use a bucket for secondary (especially a ported bucket with a spigot). Too much headspace and it's not designed like a carboy at all in terms of minimizing 02 exposure with the beer.

Only use a secondary if you are an experienced brewer, who has racked several beers, and are able to rack carefully without introducing 02. Half the time it isn't required unless you're aging your beer, or adding unique additions after the fact. Dryhops do not qualify as a unique addition.

I secondary almost all of my beers, BUUUT, I only do it because I have access to 50,000,000,000,000 PET bottles and 2 ferment buckets. I do 10 gallon batches and have been brewing every other week. If I had more FREE fermenters I wouldn't secondary at all. It just makes sense to use my free PET bottles to let my beers finish and get on to my next beer.

True this. The only time I secondary is when I'm oaking a beer. I dry hop in primary. Lacking that,I just leave it in primary till it finishes & settles out clear or slightly misty. Then rack to the bottling bucket,prime & go.

Back