Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always been an advocate of racking to a secondary fermentor to take the beer from the used yeast to avoid off flavors, and to help clarify the finished product. I've gotten rid of the plastic primary fermentor and moved to all glass carboys for both primary and secondary. This reduces the risk of infection from well-used plastic buckets which tend to get scratched inside and harbor bacteria. My final products have improved substantially. How long before you rack from primary to secondary? Usually a week, but a longtime brewer told me that once the fermentation slows down to about one bubble a minute, time to rack to the secondary. I've generally followed this advice (which is about 5-7 days) and had no problem. How long in the secondary? Generally, another week, then into the keg for a week. I like a 3-week turnaround for most ales.
The beers always seems to improve at about 4 weeks, if it last that long! Happy brewing.

I do think it's important to utilize a secondary, although I too have not had any problems with my beers that have sat for extended time in primary. But I can't put a time limit on being in primary!! I have had beers that have fermented out in 3 days and others that needed 2 weeks+ before they were ready for secondary!! The only way to know for sure is to take a hydrometer sample!!

I posted this in the 'top 5 reasons' thread and then saw this thread where it would be more appropriate. I'm obviously in a minority in my opinion, but that's what promotes discussion.

Hello, I'm new to this forum. So, why not start in by adding something that's sure to render many opinions. I rarely do any 2ndary fermentation. I do a complete and temperature controled fermentation and imediately transfer into corny kegs for carbonation, aging and dispensing (ah). Personally, I feel that the more you mess with your beer while fermenting, the more risk you take of contamination. There are cases where I think it's a good thing, as in brewing a lager style that requires a long aging period. If I need to do this, as soon as the primary frementation is done, I transfer to a corney keg and put it under enough pressure to maintain the seal and let it age in there. This is a form of 2ndary fermentation I would imagine, but I carbonate that beer without transfering to another vesel for dispensing after a proper ageing period. I rarely brew these styles, so it does not come into play that often. The other styles are mostly best when drank fresh, so why put your beer thru one more handling stage that's not needed. My beer gets many comments on clarity and I rarely have a person spit my beer out with a sour look on their face.. if they do, chances are mega-lite is their favorite brand. The rest of the top 5 reasons, I agree with at one level or another.

Ken Smith

i think secondary fermentator is a mis-nomer as in the styles i have been brewing. yes i am sure that SOME fermentation happens in the secondary - but from what i can gather it is mostly a clarification process - the majority of the fermentation happening in the first 3-5 days in the primary.

Ken Doggett said:
At what hydrometer reading do you generally transfer beer to the secondary? Thanks.

Their really isn't a guideline for this because every batch is going to be different. Most of the heavy fermenting takes place inthe first 3-4 days, but the yeast will continue to breakdown sugars and continue to ferment well past that.
The general rule I've read is to take a hydrometer reading (after the main fermentation is done) and when it is steady for 3 days in a row, its ready to rack/bottle/carbonate/whatever.
Of course thier are exceptions to this. High gravity beers wil take MUCH longer.

pilkinga said:
How does one know when to rack to a secondary? I have a batch in the primary right now, been there for two days, and the airlock has pretty much stopped bubbling constantly. Is this a sign it could be ready for the secondary already or is there a specific gravity way of telling?

Generally speaking, it usually takes 5 days and up to 8 or 9 days in the primary before you rack to secondary. A long time homebrewer once told me count the time between bubbles in the airlock. If it is over a minute, it may be ready for the secondary.

for the pilz and ales i've been doing it goes like this:

saturday: boil and toil - xfer to primary
7 days later: rack to secondary
7 days later: bottle
3 weeks later: enjoy

i have seen clarification happen faster than 7 days depending on temps but i do the saturday to saturday thing because i have more free time on the weekend.

i have brewed some good beer just in a primary - but i've brewed better beer using the secondary for clarification

I made a honey ale 10 days ago. This thing had a very active fermentation going the day after I made it. I usually rack to secondary seven days after pitching the yeast and in the past this has been sufficient to get over the initial 'burst' of fermentation. This batch however still has the airlock poping every five seconds and I can still see the activity in the carboy where things are still stirring around in there. I realize I could go ahead and rack to secondary now. I want to harvest the yeast from the bottom of the primary too so that is another consideration. I could rack to a tertiary in another couple weeks if the fermentation were to continue in the secondary. What is your opinion on taking this to secondary? Go for it now or wait till when?

Thanks...

i'd wait until activity has ceased, and you see no sign of activuty. it will not hurt a thing to let it go until fernmentation is complete. let sit another 2-3 days, then rack it to your secondary. that'll mean less trub in the secondary and clearer beer!
just my $0.02 worth :~)
DeRoux's Broux

Can some one tell me the difference between - DROPPING - SECONDARY FERMENTATION and PRIMING - it seems to me the brewing industry, like alot of others, uses different terms for the same thing! I'll be interested in your response.

never heard of dropping? secondary fermentation is a homebrewers term. no commercial brewery uses that, that i know of. it's realy just a conditioning stage of the beer (or lagering for cold conditioning). priming means to prime the green beer with a simple sugar syrup so that what yeast remians in the green beer, will have something to "eat" to produce CO2 and carbonate the bottled beer.

make sense? please chim in........

pmriess said:
Can some one tell me the difference between - DROPPING - SECONDARY FERMENTATION and PRIMING - it seems to me the brewing industry, like alot of others, uses different terms for the same thing! I'll be interested in your response.

I've never heard of DROPPING, but SECONDARY FERMENTATION is the aging process. Some use it, some don't. By letting the beer age in secondary fermentation, the idea is to let the bitterness of the hops blend with the malt characteristics and make a smoother beer. Secondary fermentation is not mandatory.
PRIMING is adding additioanl fermentable sugar to the primary or secondary fermenter to assist in providing carbonation when bottling. Usually about 3/4 cup of corn sugar is boiled with water and this sugar is added to the fermenter, and then racked into bottles. Suspended yeast in the beer will then eat the sugar and produce carbonation (CO2) in the bottled beer.
The two terms I described are definitely not the same.

I culled this off of HBD from 1997:

"Dropping is the practice of transferring wort from one container to another at a very early stage in the fermentation process (1-2 days). During this transfer process, it is optionally suggested that one might deliberately allow the wort to become aerated by letting the wort splash into the second container (for example by having the first container on a work surface, the second container on the floor and syphoning the wort with a short tube). This is the dropping process. Why do it? Dropping is done as soon as the fermentation really takes a hold (the yeast crust start forming). At this stage there is a lot of active yeast in suspension. What we are trying to do is transfer the wort off any undesirable material (trub, dead yeast etc.) which may after 1-2 days have settled to the bottom of the fermenting container. The purpose of allowing the wort to become aerated is encourage further yeast growth in the second container. Since the yeast will be now have taken a hold, the risk of infection is reduced. But be warned. This technique (the aeration in particular) may not be applicable to all types of yeast (top vs bottom fermenters or even different strains of the same type). Nevertheless, this technique seems to result in wonderfully clean yeast in the second container. Does it improve the taste? Dunno! It might help if one wanted to recover yeast from one batch and use for a second, however."

Sounds like a dubious practice at best. A lot of brewing processes are holdovers from hundreds of years ago when brewers had to develop all kinds ways to make the best of really bad ingredients. Dropping might be one of them. For what it's worth, back then the chemistry of malting was not fully understood, therefore practices such as multiple mash rests and decoction were invented to compensate. These days, ingredients are so much better that most of these practices, decoction especially, are simply not necessary. I had a local pro tell me recently, when he was getting his brewing education in Germany, that the brewery he worked in had a process for decoction where the husks where separated from the grain prior to the decoction process, then reintroduced later in the lauter tun. Why? Because boiled husks give astringency. I asked him why do it at all, and he replied that it was marketing - if the competitors found out they weren't using traditional methods, it could mean negative press. Furthermore, astringency dissipates over time. Strangely enough, the lagering process takes care of this. This explains one of the reasons why lagering was practiced. Sorry for the long post......

Prosit,

good stuff Dennis. thanks for the "culling". :~)

it does seem like a bunch of work for maybe a tiny difference, if any at all? think i'll stick to my normal routine!

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

tnlandsailor said:
I culled this off of HBD from 1997:

Sounds like a dubious practice at best. A lot of brewing processes are holdovers from hundreds of years ago when brewers had to develop all kinds ways to make the best of really bad ingredients. Dropping might be one of them. For what it's worth, back then the chemistry of malting was not fully understood, therefore practices such as multiple mash rests and decoction were invented to compensate. These days, ingredients are so much better that most of these practices, decoction especially, are simply not necessary. I had a local pro tell me recently, when he was getting his brewing education in Germany, that the brewery he worked in had a process for decoction where the husks where separated from the grain prior to the decoction process, then reintroduced later in the lauter tun. Why? Because boiled husks give astringency. I asked him why do it at all, and he replied that it was marketing - if the competitors found out they weren't using traditional methods, it could mean negative press. Furthermore, astringency dissipates over time. Strangely enough, the lagering process takes care of this. This explains one of the reasons why lagering was practiced. Sorry for the long post......

Prosit,

I agree with all of this except the decoction line. Dropping is a legitemate technique even in today's brewing, however timing is everthing.. you only want to do this practice while the beer is at full high krausen. It has been noted that diacetal in enhanced by this practice.. so you might want to examine if this is a charcteristic that's desireable in the style of beer you're brewing. Now to the point of this post.. decoction is not an obsolete technique and while not necessary, is a very desireable technique in certain styles of beer as well as when using pilsner or lager malts that are lower in protein levels and needs to be step mashed in order to get full conversion. A couple places where decoction style mashing is very desireable is in Weiss beirs as well as Marzen/Octoberfest styles. The technique totally enhances the malt richness and in the case of Weiss makes lautering much easier. I've in the past employed decoction mashing doing a California Common with great results. Just my 2 cents worth.. don't hold it against me..

Ken

Ok, this honey brew I made 13 days ago is still going strong. The airlock is clicking one off every six seconds still. The brew I made 6 days ago is sitting in a carboy next to it and is clicking about every 15 seconds which is more in line with my past experiences. I have pretty much made up my mind to go ahead and secondary the honey brew today but I was just wondering if this is normal for a recipe such as this. Is it the honey doing it or just the fact that it is a rather heavy brew?

6# extra light DME
3# Honey
0.5# carapils grains
2oz Hallertauer (5.2% aa)
1.74oz coriander seed - ground just prior to brew day
1.4oz fresh grated orange peel (one orange)
White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale

Corrected OG 1.067

Thanks for all replies to my post asking about dropping, sec. fermentation and priming. Dropping, still in operation at MARSTONS Brewery ( England ) removes fermenting liquor once the OG has fallen by half - it reputedly produces a 'brighter' beer - and, as one post mentions, removes the fermenting liquor from the dead yeast at the bottom and from the vigourous cauliflower head at the top which may impart a taste to the beer. The yeast carried over in secondary fermentation is supposed to be a stronger strain than that left behind. In the next few days I intend to brew using this method - I'll let you know if the result is worth the effort! Thanks again for the useful posts.

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
Ok, this honey brew I made 13 days ago is still going strong. The airlock is clicking one off every six seconds still. The brew I made 6 days ago is sitting in a carboy next to it and is clicking about every 15 seconds which is more in line with my past experiences. I have pretty much made up my mind to go ahead and secondary the honey brew today but I was just wondering if this is normal for a recipe such as this. Is it the honey doing it or just the fact that it is a rather heavy brew?

if it was mine, i'd let it go until i saw no sign of activity. and it probably is still activer because it's a big brew. extra fermentables in there.....
DeRoux's Broux

Latest posts

Back