Secondary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantLee63

Reaction score
How long can one keep beer in a secondary fermenter before having to worry about adding additional yeast at bottling time? Typically, I will keep mine in the primary for 4 days, rack to the secondary, and then bottle 10 days later - 2 weeks from start to bottle.

With that being said, I made an AG Chocolate Vanilla Porter (from the Maltose Falcons website) last Saturday and according to the recipe, it needs to stay in the secondary for two to three weeks - denpending on how much chocolate / vanilla flavor you want - before bottling.

I'm just curious on how long there is viable yeast in suspension so that I can be assured of having the beer properly carbonated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- GL63

As long as you want.

I usually keep mine in the secondary for about 4 - 6 weeks, and have never had a problem with inadequate yeast for carbonation.

-a.

Doesn't the yeast just go dormant and then spring into action when more fermentables are introduced (AKA "priming")? I would not even consider worrying.

Thanks for the timely replies folks .... looks like I certainly do not have anything to worrry about .....

By the way .... Happy New Year ! :mug:

I had a buddy that left his in for 8 months because he is also in the navy and was deployed. He came back and it was perfect with no problems with carbonation

Latest posts

Back